Klienia opening

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LIVERPOOL
Role within the BCSS: Member

Klienia opening

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Kleinia leptophylla flower bud starting to open...
klienia_3146.jpg
klienia_3144.jpg
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Re: Klienia opening

Post by Tina »

Hi Jim
Thats lovely, it's surprising how beautiful some of the flowers are & ceratinly helps when they are magnified, these digital cameras are the best thing ever invented for our hobby. Although photoshop is very useful too, a friend says he doesn't have perfect plants but he has perfect pictures of his plants :lol: .
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by BrianMc »

A beautiful coloured flower Jim.
I'm not familiar with this species, do you have a pic of the whole plant?

While on the subjuect of Kleinia, can someone tell me how freely they can be cross pollinated?

I know senecio radicans will hybridise with Senecio articulatus, but are the Kleinias too far removed to enable successful crosses.
I have been hoping to cross K.semperviva with K.stapeliiformis, etc, but my plants always fail to flower at the same time. K.stapeliiformis has just finished and K.pendula is just about to stat with K.grantii waiting in the wings, probably due to flower next week.... when I am away :cry:
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

Brain

Plant is an old ISI introduction 93-43, pictures below are crops from greenhouse tour shots, will try and get a better picture of main plant tomorrow

This is a bit that got knocked off last time I moved the plant
kl_0622.jpg
The plant that is flowering is tucked between some crassulas, one of these stems has produced the flower
kl_0618.jpg
Jim_Mercer
BCSS Member

Post by Jim_Mercer »

The whole plant
k_3153.jpg
The flower(s) this morning
k_3157.jpg
Link to Flikr for higher resolution photo, too big to attach here