Hello from Scotland

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Murdomac
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLASGOW

Hello from Scotland

Post by Murdomac »

Hello everybody,
I am a newbie on the forum and also a newbie at growing and keeping Cactus and Succulents.
At the moment I do not have any of the aformentioned plants, but hope to rectify that situation very shortly.
Just need a kick in the right direction as to when is the best time to buy them....going to try both and see which ones I gel with.
I am 54 yrs young, Married with three girls, and two Grandsons at present.....full time work, but enjoyable.
So people, any advice you can bestow upon this absolute novice would be much appreciated, and look forward to hearing from you.
I do not have a greenhouse, but I do have a coldframe...would that be a suitable growing utensil ?
Thanking you in advance...
Murdomac
Ospreywatcher
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Re: Hello from Scotland

Post by Ospreywatcher »

Welcome to the forum Murdomac, I am a newbie myself having joined just a month or so ago.

Although I have owned succulents for more than 30 years I have only just started actively collecting and taking more of an interest in them. I am therefore not really in a great position to give advice but one thing I would say is that it is much better to underwater than overwater.

A thirsty plant will usually let you know it needs watering whereas one which has been given too much water can suffer from root rot without it being very obvious until too late. Also, different cacti can have different temperature and soil preferences so it isn't a bad idea to buy a good book covering many varieties.

Many of these plants survive in the wild on the minimum amount of soil and water so providing they aren't exposed to heavy frosts they should survive a fair bit of neglect.

Anyway you will find far more knowledgeable members than myself on here who are always ready to offer advice!
Into all sorts of exotic plants but with only having a conservatory I prefer to buy small young plants and miniature cacti.

My Flickr photos - http://www.flickr.com/photos/ospreywatc ... 070601017/
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by AnTTun »

Howdy and welcome aboard Murdomac. Cacti season is slowly nearing its end so its not easy to rocommend anything in particular except maybe to wait untill spring :) Or to try some easy to grow species like echinopsis, opuntia, cereus.. just to get a feeling before you get more seriusly involved (as most of us did :) ). I'm pretty sure other members might have some other / different suggestions, hear them and decide yourself. Good luck :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Murdomac
Branch: GLASGOW

Post by Murdomac »

Ospreywatcher and AnTTun...
Thank you for the warm welcome and those valuable snippets of advice...All taken on board and hopefully will be put into practice asap.
Thanks again.