Josh's pets

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Josh
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Josh's pets

Post by Josh »

It's not a cylinder, not a tree; it's like a furry bulblet with barbs at the very point of its "fingers":)
It's not a cylinder, not a tree; it's like a furry bulblet with barbs at the very point of its "fingers":)
Hello again!

Here is a pet of mine which I wanted to determine what species it is of.
I got them from 'nobody' - they had been left at our communal balcony, and I don't know whose they had been and didn't have a possibility to ask them of the sort.
They are tiny, and the guy pictured is about 2 inches tall:) I couldn't find it by shape on the web yet, so I took to find a site where I could ask people for such help.
Aha, I see it's visible - except for colour, of course. Its colour is green not grey; it sprouts branches of the same shape as itself, and it's fairly vertical. Their barbs are of two colours - reddish-brown and whitish-grey:) Those grey are very... Like short hairs on your skin:) They are thinner:) Like some FUR:)
They both grow from the same point which is like a half reddish-brown half furry-white bud: the whitish is the 'cushion', and the reddish is centred upon it:)
Last edited by Josh on Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Re: Josh's pets

Post by DaveW »

It's a Mammillaria Josh, but the picture is not sharp enough to really tell which. It is also a bit etiolated and out of character and needs growing in brighter light.

DaveW
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Josh
Registered Guest

Post by Josh »

Sorry. I received notifications at first, so I didn't glance here as I didn't get them :oops:
Thank you for the help, Dave. Most of them look rather well; the point may be I have no sufficient cameras now..
My flat is on the first floor (it might be regarded ground by an Englishmen), ENE oriented windows and a couple of trees outside. But I bought a couple of lamps and try to keep them on all day. :mrgreen:

The winter's close, and I expect some questions could come later about some caring condition:)
Soon I'll up another pic — of one more guy I have:D
Josh
Registered Guest

Post by Josh »

Please what do you mean by "out of character", Dave? :cac4:
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Josh, I believe DaveW meant something like 'it doesnt look normal'. Its hard to identify plant if its etiolated, if it has weak spines, less wool etc. I am not sure artificial light will help you unless you pay attention to spectrum plants need for growth. Sun is what they need :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Josh
Registered Guest

Post by Josh »

I use two lamps: one is incandescent, and the other is tungsten.
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

Josh wrote:one is incandescent, and the other is tungsten.
A tungsten lamp is a form of incandescent lamp, the most common I think. But AnTTun is right, unless you have extremely strong lamps it will be very difficult to grow the plant well.
Could it be a Mammillaria prolifera?
Josh
Registered Guest

Post by Josh »

Josh wrote:I use two lamps: one is incandescent, and the other is tungsten.
I've bought a third one:)

Dave, I haven't managed to take better pictures. However, "Mammillaria"'s quite enough for now:) I think.
This is my other species of succulents — the picture is good enough — made with the same devise.
This beautiful star-like shoot has now grown up into a light-green furry branch:)
This beautiful star-like shoot has now grown up into a light-green furry branch:)
>:D<:gl:
Josh
Registered Guest

Post by Josh »

anders wrote:
Josh wrote:one is incandescent, and the other is tungsten.
A tungsten lamp is a form of incandescent lamp, the most common I think. But AnTTun is right, unless you have extremely strong lamps it will be very difficult to grow the plant well.
Could it be a Mammillaria prolifera?
Thanks, anders :|
:???: I thought "tungsten" means "daylight" :roll: Did I err?
One of my lamps is that "daylight", the second is matted paraboloid incandescent, and the third is usual paraboloid yet, but I'll change it into a matted and stronger one. Also I'm thinking of buying another "daylight" lamp to double the special lighting some later. :tweed: (my favourite smiley:) The point is that my dieffenbachia(s) need much light too:) I have three pots with dieffenbachia at the same windowsill :mrgreen:
anders
Registered Guest

Post by anders »

Josh wrote:I thought "tungsten" means "daylight"
It is an old Swedish name for the mineral scheelite (tung = heavy, sten = stone/rock), from which the metal tungsten was isolated. I don't understand why anyone would name an element like that, it justs causes confusion :???:.