Another method for rooting cacti

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Werewolf
BCSS Zone Rep
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Branch Chair

Another method for rooting cacti

Post by Werewolf »

This is really in response to the thread on Bob Clayton's method but I felt it was inappropriate to post there, as that thread is very specific and out of respect for Bob himself.

Bill Stevens, who was hugely influential on the hobby in the South East, suggested suspending the plant over a container of water until stubby roots began to appear at the base; the idea being that the plant was receiving both the moisture and air needed to root. The plant could then be gently placed on a damp mix to continue rooting properly.

I tried it once with a 5 inch-ish Ferocactus wislizeni, which I dusted lightly with rooting hormone (because in those days they contained a fungicide), rested on top of a bowl and placed on a warm windowsill. It did work.