Hallo

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Desert Orchid
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hallo

Post by Desert Orchid »

Greetings and thanks to all for supplying the collective wisdom of the forum. I'm in Wales, renowned for its superb cactus-friendly climate. I keep a few indoor cacti and outdoor succulents which were approaching "very small collection indeed" status prior to the cold winters of 2009 & 10 which reduced their standing to “very lucky to be alive”.

Lack of space, competing interests in alpine plants and life in general limit my ambition to create a collection but I have been given a new cactus by my son which I'd like help in identifying if possible. Shortly after transferring the gift to a slightly larger pot than that supplied it began to slowly shed what I, no doubt incorrectly, call its leaves. The main body looks OK though so I'd appreciate a name tag for the thing to enable me to discover how to care for it in future and to determine whether a deciduous cactus is actually emitting a cry for help rather than behaving as it should.

Thanks in advance, here it is -

McFarland
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Hallo

Post by McFarland »

It's a Euphorbia (succulent) hybrid. Euphorbia 'cocklebur' also sometimes called by other names but basically the same thing. A fair bit of light in summer (though if it starts colouring red give it a tiny bit more shade so it doesn't get stressed), moderately draining soil with weekly or so waterings in summer depending on conditions, with a little bit less in winter (probably around every 2 weeks, and only a sip) would keep it in pretty good health.

If you google euphorbia cocklebur you should be able to find some more info on it

Welcome! (tu)
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Welcome aboard Desert Orchid.

Your plant is cross between euphorbia bupleurifolia and euphorbia susannae. Other synonim is euphorbia japonica.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Desert Orchid

Post by Desert Orchid »

Many thanks for the replies, much appreciated and apologies for misidentifying the plant as a cactus - I'm suitably embarrassed.
From the Google images which I'm now able to browse it appears that I'll have a nice plant to look forward to later in the year, if it flowers I'll post a picture.
McFarland
BCSS Member

Post by McFarland »

antunn is correct too, the plant is called various things
  • E. x bupleurifolia
    E. japonica
    e. bupleurifolia x susannae
    'cocklebur'
    etc
here's a pic of mine Image
S110. Euphorbia 'Cocklebur' by McFarland!, on Flickr

good luck with it ;)
Last edited by McFarland on Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Despite its globular shape, I found out it likes a little bit of water every once in a while during winter. Otherwise it tends to lose roots and suddenly die in spring. At least two I had ended that way :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Mal
BCSS Member
Branch: HARROW

Post by Mal »

:welc: >:D<:gl:
Mal. Aylesbury vale Bucks. cacti and succulents. T.S.G.member.
Andy Hood
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIGHTON, HOVE & District

Post by Andy Hood »

Hello and welcome to the forum :smile:
BCSS No 39768
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Hi and welcome! I used to have one of these which was quite happy, then.... not. I repotted into sterilised soil/grit which had been sifted, didn't water for a month, and.... it just shrivelled up. When the base went I twisted off the branches but they were too little to root I think. They also just shrivelled up.

NEVER repot them, everyone!!!
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.