I am new to this fasinating world of Cactus & Succulents

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
Maurice
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: CHELMSFORD

I am new to this fasinating world of Cactus & Succulents

Post by Maurice »

Hi my name is Maurice Vaughan and i have joined the Cambridgeshire division odf the BCSS. Wow what a selection of cactus can be had i had no idea but now having read a couple of books on the subject and wanting the monthly meetings to come round quicker (to purchase some more cactus and succulents) i have one immediate question .
if i buy a cactus in a small pot and repot it into a larger pot will that help produce a bigger cactus than leaving in a small pot. Will re potting to a larger pot produce a larger specimen? Thank you.
Maurice
Mark k.D
BCSS Member
Branch: BROMLEY
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: I am new to this fasinating world of Cactus & Succulents

Post by Mark k.D »

Hi Maurice, welcome to the forum. In answer to your question its best to pot on a cactus in a slightly bigger pot than it was in before. Only really when its root system gets too big or the plant is bulging out of the pot. If say a plant has a large tap root, a much bigger pot may encourage the root to grow more rather than the plant above. Also, you need to take into consideration potential rotting of the root when you have more soil in a pot, as the roots will not be able to reach out to dry the pot, so it will be on the whole damp all the time. This could be the potential death knell to even the most healthy of plants so best to think smaller. Hope this helps.
AnTTun
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: I am new to this fasinating world of Cactus & Succulents

Post by AnTTun »

Hello & welcome aboard Maurice :)

Mark k.D answered your question quite well, I have nothing to add :) I suggest you search this forum (there is a search option at upper right corner) on John Innes (I hope I spelled it right, I'm far away from UK :) ). It seems to be most used soil mixture over there.

And also, I assume you are BCSS member, I suggest you activate that option in your profile so you can get to 'BCSS members only' part of the forum.
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/