Hi - new to this forum

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
torijenkins
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Hi - new to this forum

Post by torijenkins »

Hi All, I'm Tori and I live in SE London.

I mostly have succulents - a couple of Agave, one of which is outdoors and often eaten by snails - I can hear their rasping as they gorge on it but it is happy enough regardless...it's baby is very happy in my conservatory.....and 12 very crowded pots full of innumerable Aloe Vera all of which have been grown from 2 small leaves - and now 4+ of which have flowered for the 3rd year - I think i could start a Aloe Vera shop at this rate, especially if I started growing all the seeds I've harvested.

I also have a couple of cacti (don't know the varieties) which I am far less successful with for various reasons - mostly due to having to put them out of reach of my kids and thereby depriving them of the brightest light available in my house. One of them is currently staked and moved to the conservatory to try to undo it's drooping which I actually initially though was rot setting in but this summer it was still growing so a bit of research suggested it was lack of light...I wonder if it will strengthen the existing plant or if only the new growth will be stronger... My other cactus is of particular interest to me at the minute and I have specific questions which I will post separately.

I look forward to gaining more knowledge and getting your help and advise.

Tori
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Hi - new to this forum

Post by Liz M »

Hi Tori, Welcome to the Forum. It sounds like you have come to the right place to sort out your problems. It sounds like too many Aloe Vera, as you have found, they are very easy to grow. The cactus sounds not quite so easy, it clearly needs more good light. The trouble is that all the weak growth is not going to go away. You may have to do some drastic surgery. If you put in a search (at the top of the page), you should find answers to your questions.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Howdy and welcome aboard Tori. I'm sure you'll learn enough here to keep your cacti alive and happy :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Geoff Lovell
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Geoff Lovell »

Welcome Tori, enjoy the Forum.
Where in South East London do you live?
Founder member BCSS # 32426,
Growing Cacti and Succulents for over 40 years,
mixed collection but prefer succulents particularly caudiciforms.
torijenkins

Post by torijenkins »

Hi Everyone, and thanks.
I've already discovered that after all this time thinking my Aloes were Aloe Vera, that they are actually Aloe Aristata. I did not know that. Do you happen to know if the gel is as good for your skin etc??
Geoff...I'm in Greenwich as of the last 7 years. I've a conservatory here and my plants love it....now my kids are a bit older I think I can put my cacti back there where they will thrive...now I just need to learn more.
Thanks All.