Hello!

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
FairyCastles
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Hello!

Post by FairyCastles »

I currently own one cactus (which I am hopefully going to post a photo of for an ID at some point!) but have kept various cacti for years.
I used to keep orchids but due to ill health I have had to give them up. They took too much looking after and I was starting to not enjoy them.
I also have a soft spot for African Violets - mainly because other members of my family can't keep them alive! - and rescued one at the weekend (along with a Venus Fly Trap who seems to be a vegetarian).

I got my first cactus when I was about 6 years old. My nan was given it on a Turkey and Tinsel holiday and told me it was very special. Unfortunately, it only lasted about 6 months as I didn't really know what to do with it. I have had various cacti since then but am feeling very commited this time!

My current cactus has managed to survive several months in the (very small) original pot and has recently been repotted (is it me or does the non-watering seem to stretch!) as I am feeling much better. He's coming on leaps and bounds since the sun warmed up again and he goes out most days for a bit of sun.

I have also "accidently" bought some seeds over the last few days as I like "creating life" (I also keep lizards and breed my own mealworms and I used to have Giant African Land Snails, which I bred to extend my line). Daddy Castles is very excited (we're all one big family in my flat)!
I have also got my eye on a very nice cactus, however I don't know if I can look after it so I shall probably be asking for advice on that shortly.

I'm so sorry this has become so long - I didn't realise but I can't seem to cut it down! :oops:
Growing Gymnocalycium and Frailea family
Paul D
BCSS Trustee
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Re: Hello!

Post by Paul D »

Welcome!
I look forward to seeing a picture of the start of your collection! (tu)
Paul in North-east Scotland (Grampian Branch BCSS)
National Collection Rebutia, Aylostera & Weingartia (inc. Sulcorebutia). Also growing a mixture including Ferocactus, Gymnocalycium, Lobivia, Mammillaria, Lithops, Gasteria, Haworthia.
http://www.rebutia.org.uk
FairyCastles
BCSS Member

Post by FairyCastles »

Paul D wrote:Welcome!
I look forward to seeing a picture of the start of your collection! (tu)
Thank you Paul!
(Some pictures should be emerging shortly)
Ross M
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Ross M »

Welcome (sorry I don't know your name :shrugs: )

I also keep lizards. What do you have?

Ross
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.

FairyCastles
BCSS Member

Post by FairyCastles »

Ross M wrote:Welcome (sorry I don't know your name :shrugs: )

I also keep lizards. What do you have?

Ross
Hello Ross!

Sorry, on most forums I have my name in my signature so often forget to write it!
At the moment I have 2 leopards geckos - one with "problems" and the other is a little sweetie.
I used to be very involved with the reptile scene but I drifted away and then I started to get into inverts but, due to ill health, I now only have my girls and that's it.
What do you keep?

Sophie
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

Howdy & welcome aboard FairyCastles :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
FairyCastles
BCSS Member

Post by FairyCastles »

AnTTun wrote:Howdy & welcome aboard FairyCastles :)
Thank you!
Ross M
BCSS Member

Post by Ross M »

FairyCastles wrote:
Hello Ross!

Sorry, on most forums I have my name in my signature so often forget to write it!
At the moment I have 2 leopards geckos - one with "problems" and the other is a little sweetie.
I used to be very involved with the reptile scene but I drifted away and then I started to get into inverts but, due to ill health, I now only have my girls and that's it.
What do you keep?

Sophie
Hi Sophie

Between my son and myself, we have a trio of Leopard geckos, a male Fat Tail Gecko, a Corn Snake and a couple of Stenodactylus sthenodactylus.

Ross
Ross

Dunbar, SE Scotland.
BCSS member #46264 (originally joined 1983).
Growing cacti since 1978, with a particular interest in Sulcorebutia and Rebutia.