More Aloes

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Colin Walker
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: More Aloes

Post by Colin Walker »

Herts Mike wrote:Aloe millotti-

Aloe albiflora-

I got his some years ago from a very reliable source labelled Aloe glauca. It looks nothing like glauca as I know it and has never flowered. Any suggestions?
Great aloe thread Mike. Sorry it's taken you and Tina to bully me into responding. :shock:

Can't really help you out with an ID for this Aloe glauca on page 6. It may have top quality provenance, but the ID is very problematic. Did you say somewhere that it apparently came from Kenya? If that's so then the locality as well as appearance precludes this from being A. glauca, which is endemic to S. Africa.
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
Colin Walker

Post by Colin Walker »

Christian wrote:Thought this might me of interest...

Not nearly as spectacular as Mike's brilliant specimen plants, but there you go. Seed came from last December's BCSS seedlist.

Thanks.

Christian
We've really no idea what Aloe abyssinica is, so whatever your seedlings are as shown on page 8, they're certainly not A. abyssinica.

If this came from the BCSS seed distribution that's unfortunate, because I guess quite a few other members will have bought seed and raised seedlings. :sad:
Cheers,
Colin

FBCSS
FCSSA
Fellow of the Linnean Society (FLS)
Member of the IOS
Honorary Research Associate, The Open University
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Herts Mike wrote: I got his some years ago from a very reliable source labelled Aloe glauca. It looks nothing like glauca as I know it and has never flowered. Any suggestions?

With it's distichous growth I can definitely imagine plicatilis bing in its makeup, not sure where Phil W gets striatula from.
Distichous leaves can also point to juvenile growth, but I don't think that is the case here. The leaves are reminiscent of young glauca, so I don't see why it can't be a glauca pollinated with rogue plicatilis pollen (however, this is all very much speculation! :wink: )
Last edited by BrianMc on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Hi Mike and Brian
I have this plant and it's Aloe lineata muirii
The plant stay many years like that with many distichous offshots and then one day one is growing up and become a rosette
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Christian »

Colin Walker wrote:We've really no idea what Aloe abyssinica is, so whatever your seedlings are as shown on page 8, they're certainly not A. abyssinica.
Well, in this case I take the unscientific view that so far I like the look of what I am growing here - let's see what I end up with! :wink:

But I would be interested to know where the name originates (I should really have written it in inverted commas) - does anyone know?

Christian
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

RICHAUD wrote:Hi Mike and Brian
The plant stay many years like that with many distichous offshots and then one day one is growing up and become a rosette
Looks like a good call Philippe (tu)

I did a quick search and got this http://store.mysteriousgardens.net/aloe-lineata-muirii/
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Many thanks Philippe - much appreciated. I will correct the supplier...
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Hi all
This is the plant I have named abyssinica
Aloe abyssinica.jpg
Aloe abyssinica.jpg (129.33 KiB) Viewed 2083 times
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Aloe fosteri plant 70cm in diameter 1,2m for the spike
Aloe fosteri plante.jpg
Aloe fosteri plante.jpg (111.54 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Aloe fosteri hampe.jpg
Aloe fosteri hampe.jpg (98.46 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Aloe fosteri fleurs.jpg
Aloe fosteri fleurs.jpg (88.33 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Sounds similar to A. arenicola?