More Aloes

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: More Aloes

Post by RICHAUD »

Aloe (Lomatophyllum) peyrierasii growing in forest near the sea (Vohemar)
Near 3m high solitary with many spikes shorter than the leaves
sorry for the photos which are shady :it's due to the fog
Aloe peyrierasii Vohemar 1.jpg
Aloe peyrierasii Vohemar 1.jpg (53.99 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
Aloe peyrierasii hampes Vohemar 1.jpg
Aloe peyrierasii hampes Vohemar 1.jpg (38.02 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
Aloe peyrierasii hampe Vohemar 1.jpg
Aloe peyrierasii hampe Vohemar 1.jpg (45.78 KiB) Viewed 2857 times
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

two species flowering this winter
Aloe vossii an Aloe herb with a nice spike
Aloe vossii plante.jpg
Aloe vossii plante.jpg (48.26 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
Aloe vossii hampe.jpg
Aloe vossii hampe.jpg (44.2 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
Aloe erythrophylla flowering for the first time in a 12 x 12cm pot
Aloe erythrophylla plante.jpg
Aloe erythrophylla plante.jpg (38.18 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
Aloe erythrophylla hampe.jpg
Aloe erythrophylla hampe.jpg (30.46 KiB) Viewed 2821 times
Wiebe
BCSS Member

Post by Wiebe »

Great colours on A vossii!

Wiebe
Rick M
Registered Guest

Post by Rick M »

Herts Mike wrote:Aloe millotti-

Aloe albiflora-

I got his some years ago from a very reliable source labelled Aloe glauca. It looks nothing like glauca as I know it and has never flowered. Any suggestions?

I have the same from Abbey Brook, which Brian labelled as Glauca F. Distincta. Yours looks like a particularly well kept specimen, and mine was treated to repotting into a 5 inch pot last summer.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Hi Rick
I think we already talk about this specy :it's Aloe lineata which is distichous in young state :after the plant will have rosettes
For the millotii the leaves are too large ;for me it's an hybrid (or jacksonii ?)

Regards
Philippe Richaud
Le Cannet France
Rick M
Registered Guest

Post by Rick M »

Hi Richaud, I've looked through the thread and can find no real compelling evidence to change my opinion from Glauca F.Distincta, so we will need to disagree on this. I do agree with you that the Millotti looks more like a well kept specimen
of Jacksonii, but we willl have to disagree about F. Distincta. As II have c.250 Aloes in my collection, I believe my opinion to be valid.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

Hi Rick
Look at this and you'll be convinced :wink:
http://www.google.fr/search?q=aloe+line ... 62&bih=759
Nick.A
Registered Guest

Post by Nick.A »

Very nice Aloes!
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

That millotii came as a cutting from Kew Gardens and was fully verified by Susan Holmes Dec 1 1993. It was originally donated by Clive Innes having been collected in Madagascar date and place unknown.

I have to say that it isn't as green as it looks in the picture. Maybe I've grown it too well..........

My jacksonii (also from Kew) looks different.
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

Herts Mike wrote:That millotii came as a cutting from Kew Gardens and was fully verified by Susan Holmes Dec 1 1993. It was originally donated by Clive Innes having been collected in Madagascar date and place unknown.

I have to say that it isn't as green as it looks in the picture. Maybe I've grown it too well..........

My jacksonii (also from Kew) looks different.
The plant in question does not look like any jacksonii I have seen or grown and does have that 'Madagascan Aloe' look. I suppose it could pass for A.millotii, although there appears to be quite a bit of variation in plants labelled as this ( think the scale of this plant is finer than the suggested A.jacksonii - but there is no accurate reference to scale in the picture). Do you know if Susan (Carter-?) Holmes ever travelled in Madagascar? I thought she was predominantly visiting the eastern side if the African Continent, so I assume her verification would be from descriptions or possible herbarium samples. I think as Madagascar is more completely explored with Aloes in mind, the distinction between species becomes much more complicated - this is before the problems encountered with undocumented horticultural hybrids muddying the water.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse