winter

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Thord
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

winter

Post by Thord »

Seems winter is here to stay,at least here in Stockholm, Sweden, :eek: and, I believe,a few more parts of Europe.It´s been very cold for this time of the year, temps down to -20C at nights, rising to -13-14C at midday. Today is temporarely a mild day, just -4C, but instead have we got about 40 cm of snow. I know Great Britain has had a lot of rain but not below zero yet. How is the situation in northen Italy,northen Germany, Poland , Chechia, Rumania and so forth? Has everyone brought inside plants that were dwelling outside or are some taking a chance?
Thord. All kinds of smallgrowing cacti.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: winter

Post by Aiko »

Up here in the Netherlands it is about 0 to 5 C during the day, around freezing during the night. Some rain, some hail, and a bit of snow. Nothing spectacular. Very normal temperatures and all.

All my plants are inside since last weekend. But my winter growers are in a lightly heated part of my greenhouse. Will go in to when it will freeze during the day for a long run too.
Josse
BCSS Member

Post by Josse »

Czech rep. - temps are oscillating around the freezing point. From quite a mild 2-5C during day, down to -5C by night.
Nothing special yet but the real hard freeze usually comes here in Jan/Feb.
Josse
Tonto
Registered Guest

Post by Tonto »

Feeling sorry for all of you! Here in the province of Murcia in the south of Spain the temps are still in the high teens, usually around 18C and olive picking makes us even warmer! The colder weather usually comes in February/March but rarely do we get minus here. It's not possible to heat my 30 metre poly tunnel as it's too big and the electricity is too expensive. The Haworthia and cacti don't seem affected by the cold and in 11 years here I have lost very few plants to frost. We water all winter in peat!

www.cactusinspain.com