PH in the compost

New members, please take the time to introduce yourself and your collection.
whiteswan
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: EXETER

PH in the compost

Post by whiteswan »

Hello :grin:
i am quite new to cactis growing and while i have started to build a collection of mixed cactis. The books i read say about the PH level of the compost/soil should be around 6.5 to 7 thats fine but just were or how do you adjust this when useing JI number 3 and Sharp grit mix.
while my cactis are quite happy growing in this mixture does the PH level really matter.
i have notice also that most people mix in to there compost < Blood , fish , & bone where i use ROCK DUST.
any help would be greatfull
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Re: PH in the compost

Post by rodsmith »

6.5 to 7 is actually rather alkaline for most cacti & succulents; they are happier with a ph of around 5.5. However, 7 isn't excessively alkaline and shouldn't cause too many problems but you need to use rainwater if at all possible and not tap water. If you have to use tap water, let it stand for a day or so before watering with it. There is a recent thread about JI composts - see this webpage http://www.bcss.org.uk/foruma/viewtopic ... 1&t=157584 . I personally would never use Fish, Blood and Bone for most cacti, especially with JI no. 3 which is high in fertiliser. FBB is much too rich and could lead to excessive growth. I use Miracle Gro once a month in the growing season but there are plenty of other suitable fertilisers, eg Phostrogen.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
whiteswan
BCSS Member

Post by whiteswan »

Thank you for the information
i changed late in the growing season to rain water.
i thought it was odd when reading about BFB as i tend to use ROCK DUST which i find is very good. while i am quite new in growing cacti as yet i have not sort of narrowed down just what type i like the most. To be honest i just enjoy growing them.
if you do not mind me asking how do you manage the PH level in your compost / growing medium
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

whiteswan wrote: if you do not mind me asking how do you manage the PH level in your compost / growing medium
I bought a pack of litmus paper on eBay (very cheap!) and test my rainwater every six months or so. It has never varied from 5.5 which is slightly acid and is said to be preferred by cacti. There was a thread on this subject earlier in the year. You could probably find it by doing a search using "PH" or "acidity of compost" or similar. There is a school of thought that reckons many cacti like a more alkaline compost as many of them grow in limestone areas. The opposing view is that although they grow in a limestone area, the rainwater is often acid and when it rains the effect on the roots taking up the moisture is acid rather than alkali. Having said all this, if your cacti etc are thriving you probably have nothing to worry about. We all have slightly different ways of treating our plants and there probably isn't a "right way". Good luck with your growing.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
whiteswan
BCSS Member

Post by whiteswan »

Thanks you for the advice. will look in to what you have said . hope you have a good growing year.