Will it survive?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
georged
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Will it survive?

Post by georged »

Having read of other members keeping their E. Coccineus outside overwinter and seen photos of it covered in snow, I have left mine out. This year it has endured very little sun, frequent rain, cold and now snow. Am I pushing my luck?

Echinocereus coccineus 20_01_2013.
Echinocereus coccineus 20_01_2013.
George
Uckfield, East Sussex. Small but varied collection of cacti, succulents and a few others.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Will it survive?

Post by iann »

The cold and snow won't bother it at all. It could be damaged by ice or waterlogging, but overall it is an extremely tolerant plant. Mine has frequently been snow-covered with problems. The downside is very slow growth and poor flowering from insufficient summer heat.
Cheshire, UK
TS Hakansson
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by TS Hakansson »

Planted in the ground it could take almost anything , but in a pot ? I´m not sure.
Growing mostly globular,smallgrowing cacti north of Stockholm
lobman
Branch: DARTFORD
Role within the BCSS: Journal Team

Post by lobman »

I think that if grown in nearly pure grit , and sunk in the pot , ideally against a south facing wall it would stand a fair chance , but if growing in the open , in a pot above ground I would not hope for too much
Phil_SK
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

As the thaw comes, it might be worth standing the pot on something that would help draw the water out, such as a length of capillary matting or even just cloth that overhangs the edge of the table/wall/podium/whatever it's on.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
iann
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

I'm not sure what the concern is for this thing being in a pot? Does anyone have experience of it dying in a pot or are you just guessing that it will freeze solid and die? I have this both in a container and in the ground. It can freeze solid and not die. Your biggest problem is going to be the pot exploding rather than the cactus dying. Mine spent the last two winters outdoors with temperatures not seen in this area for decades. So I'll say it again: cold is not a problem for this plant in the UK. I'd suggest brushing off most of the snow before it melts and making sure it doesn't waterlog during the thaw. Rain on a still frozen pot, or one with clogged holes, would be bad.
Cheshire, UK
georged
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by georged »

I live in hope.

Will do a follow-up post when I know.
George
Uckfield, East Sussex. Small but varied collection of cacti, succulents and a few others.