ECHINOCEREUS seedings sudden dispear after one night..

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
szjx81kris
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa

ECHINOCEREUS seedings sudden dispear after one night..

Post by szjx81kris »

What happen on them.
body dispear in one night , but the root still remain.
Attachments
h.jpg
g.jpg
f.jpg
e.jpg
D.jpg
3bears
Branch: None

Re: ECHINOCEREUS seedings sudden dispear after one night..

Post by 3bears »

do you see little black gnats flying around them? scarid flies/maggots attack seedlings.
in any event, i would ventilate them immediately, try to get some breeze blowing over them. pick out the dead with tweezers. could be a classic case of damping off. time is of the essence here, you could lose them all in a couple more days. make sure your light is not too bright, no direct sun at all.
good luck, (i hate when this happens.)
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Looks like damping-off to me. As 3bears suggests, plenty of ventilation is recommended. Moving air is the best way of preventing any of the mould-type problems. I keep a fan on cool in my greenhouse all year round, just to keep the air moving. This also helps to prevent scorch in the summer.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
szjx81kris
Registered Guest

Post by szjx81kris »

3bears wrote:do you see little black gnats flying around them? scarid flies/maggots attack seedlings.
in any event, i would ventilate them immediately, try to get some breeze blowing over them. pick out the dead with tweezers. could be a classic case of damping off. time is of the essence here, you could lose them all in a couple more days. make sure your light is not too bright, no direct sun at all.
good luck, (i hate when this happens.)

yes, it's optional essence,I just only ventilate them immedialely like you said.
Phil Hocking
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by Phil Hocking »

Your growing medium looks entirely mineral and fungus gnats/sciarid flies don't usually favour that sort of medium. They love anything that is predominately peat. It does look very wet though and ventilating will dry it out a bit. There are always some losses, that's why nature creates so many seeds. You should be able to save the rest if you get the medium just moist and take out the dead ones. If you find they are hollow shells then the larvae of the sciarid fly are probably the culprits.

Somerset PhiI
Member of Somerset branch. I have a diverse mixture of small cacti plus a few larger survivors from a previous collection. I also like Stapeliads, Titanopsis, Anacampseros, and various other succulents. Now proud owner of many self-raised seedlings.