Spring!!!

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Diane
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Spring!!!

Post by Diane »

Yes, Spring seems to have arrived at last! So here are a few of my Spring bloomers!

First is the superb Mammillaria senilis, one of my favourites, and probably the best it has ever been with 9 flowers out:
Mammillaria senilis
Mammillaria senilis
IMG_2276 (550x510).jpg (185.89 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
Another pretty Mamm is M. nazasensis, a multi headed seedling:
Mammillaria nazasensis
Mammillaria nazasensis
IMG_2279 (550x502).jpg (213.75 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
An old Mammillaria moelleriana:
Mammillaria moelleriana
Mammillaria moelleriana
IMG_2281 (550x468).jpg (217.83 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
Another mammillaria, this time M. coahuilensis, a nice dwarf species (this plant is 15 years old)
Mammillaria coahuilensis
Mammillaria coahuilensis
IMG_2290 (550x494).jpg (171.44 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
An old clump of Mammillaria schwarzii, not the easiest to grow:
Mammillaria schwarzii
Mammillaria schwarzii
IMG_2283 (550x502).jpg (175.34 KiB) Viewed 2436 times
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Diane
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Spring!!!

Post by Diane »

To end with a couple of Sclerocacti - this is S. spinosior SB693
Sclerocactus spinosior SB693
Sclerocactus spinosior SB693
IMG_2286 (550x455).jpg (198.87 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
And Sclerocactus whipplei SB472
Sclerocactus whipplei SB472
Sclerocactus whipplei SB472
IMG_2289 (550x523).jpg (211.88 KiB) Viewed 2435 times
Let's see some of yours!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Christian »

Wonderful! You've got a lot of colour in your greenhouse already! Your Mamm. senilis is impressive. I've watered my two Mamm. senilis for the first time the weekend just gone and badly hope for flowers... they are just so nice. Lovely Mamm. nazasensis too!
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

Great pics. Would like to see more members post pics like this, we need some colour in our lives after 6 months of winter rain!
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Lovely plants Diane. It's good to see Mammillarias flowering early. None of mine has a single bud yet and my senilis has never flowered.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

"Great pics. Would like to see more members post pics like this, we need some colour in our lives after 6 months of winter rain!"

When we get flowers we may. Some of us that run cold greenhouses over winter are at least a month behind Diane with buds only just detectable on Rebutia's and the odd Mammillaria! The plants eventually catch up though with more flowering towards the middle of the year. The only thing I have in flower at the moment is Eriosyce villosa.
Sylvia
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Sylvia »

Really lovely Diane, mine are just behind yours so will post a couple of pictures as soon as they open.
Sylvia in Somerset growing cacti and succulents since 1977
Keith H
BCSS Member
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Keith H »

DaveW wrote:"Great pics. Would like to see more members post pics like this, we need some colour in our lives after 6 months of winter rain!"

When we get flowers we may. Some of us that run cold greenhouses over winter are at least a month behind Diane with buds only just detectable on Rebutia's and the odd Mammillaria! The plants eventually catch up though with more flowering towards the middle of the year. The only thing I have in flower at the moment is Eriosyce villosa.
Thank you Rod & Dave, I feel a little better now, I was starting to get a bit concerned that ten days after their first water all I have to show is a few tiny little bud on some of the gymnocaliciums and a single one on a three headed Thelocactus Hexaedrophorus, I was beginning to regret re-potting them all over the winter.
Regards Keith.

BCSS # 50554
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I sold most of my cactus collection last year to make space for aloes and Stapeliads but still kept some back.

Mam pennispinosa-

Hoodia pilifera-

iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

That's a great show! You're 2-3 weeks ahead of me, although perhaps the more mature plants come a week or two early anyway.

Here Mammillaria senilis is lining up a disappointing display in comparison with previous years. I was writing it off as the result of a winter with no really cold weather at all.
Cheshire, UK