Mesemb Study Group Event 27th September 2014

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Re: Mesemb Study Group Event 27th September 2014

Post by topsy »

OK. So who among you who are planning to take in this biennial event will be going complete with camera(s)? We would dearly love to have a record of the event and to be able to have pics to accompany an article in the Bulletin. I am afraid that I don't seem to be able to take photos nowadays, I can't hold the camera steady enough, so ......

How great to have someone from Portugal visiting, or at least we hope he will be there.

There will not only be lovely plants to look at, but to buy from the keen amateurs plants which are seldom seen in nurseries, and of course the fantastic home made cakes, etc.

Have you managed to unearth something for the auction in aid of the Conservation & Research fund? or what about something for the raffle?

But what we really need are plants for the benches and yourselves.

Please come and take in the enormous diversity of our Mesemb World.

Suzanne Mace
Mesemb Study Group
jfabiao
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by jfabiao »

Hello, Suzanne

Although I won't be bringing any plants (even if I had any worthy of showing it would be difficult to bring them with me), I'll try my best to take some decent pictures of the event.
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Bill

Post by Bill »

Hi,

Can anyone help please?

I need some calendars to be got to Tony Morris in Leicester Branch, if there is anyone going to Banstead MSG Event who can deliver them to Tony please contact me.

Suzanne Mace.
Mesemb Study Group
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

If "The Clumsy Gardener" and other visitors intend to come to the event by public transport, I recommend rail to Sutton station and then a bus or taxi to Banstead High Street (east end). Both Banstead station and Chipstead, Kingswood and Tattenham Corner stations are quite a long way from the hall and there are few buses from those stations.
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi All Discerning succulentophiles

Coming to Banstead on Saturday?

Hoping to be able to buy plants or collect orders from Tony Irons?

He is sorry to disappoint you all but his wife is very poorly, in a lot of pain and he doesn't feel he can leave for the whole day, so has had to cancel. Anyone who was hoping to collect an order from him, please contact him and he will mail the order out to you.

At very short notice the MSG has been able to secure the services of David Neville to sell plants in his place, so do come along and buy, buy, buy.

See you there,

Suzanne
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

Thank you, Terry. That makes it even easier for me. :)
Z

The Clumsy Gardener
Lindsey
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by Lindsey »

An excellent event as always... thank you to all involved, many mesembpeople that I could name, but my special thanks go to Suzanne Mace (ably supported by Tony), Terry Smale for his auction patter (see below) and especially to Keith Green whom I consider as the UK agent for Des and Naureen Cole, for his enlightening talk on Lithops "precious and precarious". His website is http://www.scrapbooklithops.com/

I knew beforehand about John Watmough's Stomatium garden that was the first item on the auction... I thought I'd place an opening bid, but to my surprise I came home with it, 11 different Stomatiums plus a family of meerkats!
(apologies for photo taken with flash this evening)
stomatiumgarden (600x450).jpg
stomatiumgarden (600x450).jpg (143.77 KiB) Viewed 3486 times
Doubtless there will be other photos posted soon, I saw several cameras recording the superb plants on display. It's been a good summer/autumn for mesembs in the UK :D
jfabiao
BCSS Member

Post by jfabiao »

I had a wonderful time on my first mesemb event, the display was amazing! I wish I could have stayed for the whole presentation, but we had to be back in London by seven. Many thanks to all that made this show possible, me and my significant half enjoyed it immensely. :)
Z

The Clumsy Gardener
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

I echo Lyndsey's comments - thanks to all who make this show happen. It was an excellent show, with many wonderful plants on display, and it was so nice to catch up with friends not seen for some time! Alas, no pics as camera wasn't working properly, hope someone else will upload some, as there were plenty of cameras in evidence!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
BrianMc
BCSS Member

Post by BrianMc »

Very glad everything went well. Photos would be appreciated. I would have been there myself if I hadn't had a speaking engagement at Ayr branch the evening before.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse