Systemic insecticide for red spider mite

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Karsty
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LUTON

Re: Systemic insecticide for red spider mite

Post by Karsty »

Thanks Karl,

I have just ordered Tetrasan It was £35 for 2oz of it :eek: . On one plant I'm going to try using it and Abamectin both mixed together, which should kill all the adults, eggs, and everything in between, in one fell swoop. If it kills the plant, I will re-group and re-evaluate!
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KarlR »

For me, spider mites have been by far the worst pest over the years. Never been very bothered with the likes of mealy bugs, thrips etc, but spider mites have been incredibly difficult to deal with. Whenever I think I've managed to eradicate them they've appeared again.

I've tried all sorts of soaps and homemade pesticides, and while they can be effective enough on contact, in the end I just bought the professional stuff. With a large greenhouse collection, I've just found it too difficult to eradicate them with soaps and such. Always a spot you miss and a few weeks later they're back.

The stuff cost a lot but, seeing how effective it was, it's nothing compared to the cost of all the frustration over the years.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Never had much trouble with red spider mites, but then my greenhouse does go down below freezing in winter and they seem to like dry heat. Meaning they also don't like water, so watering plants from above may help, but they can still shelter around the back on the side away from the watering direction.

Putting plants out in a rainstorm in the growing season will clean the dust off the plants and often get rid of many pests.
Nottingham Branch BCSS. Joined the then NCSS in 1961, Membership number 11944. Cactus only collection.
Karsty
Registered Guest
Branch: LUTON

Post by Karsty »

I once spent 9 months trying to get rid of mealybug from a Ficus... I failed, and then it just keeled over and died!

So you can imagine I am keen to do this quickly and efficiently.

Dave -

I am a gardener here in SE UK, and some outdoor plants get red spider mite every year (namely, without fail, Crocosmias). So I guess they survive because when it rains they just hide under the leaves? I mean, they REALLY INFEST smaller Crocosmias, turning them utterly brown.