Ugliness forgiven

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Diane
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Ugliness forgiven

Post by Diane »

It may not win any beauty contests, but this 20 year old Leuchtenbergia principis repays it's shabbiness when it flowers!
Leuchtenbergia principis
Leuchtenbergia principis
IMG_2506 (550x413).jpg (144.82 KiB) Viewed 1716 times
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Re: Ugliness forgiven

Post by Eric Williams »

I agree Diane,I also have a venerable plant that flowers every year for me,and todays the day. The look of the plant did improve when re potted with some limestone chippings and a little more water. The improvement could also have come about due to the fact it was re potted any way. Cheers
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

I'm not sure thats the rule, maybe it is: double the uglier, double the flower... that kind of stuff :)
LP.jpg
LP.jpg (112.32 KiB) Viewed 1605 times
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
AnTTun
BCSS Member

Post by AnTTun »

P.S. Without the plant in the background, I'd almost say these are different plants, flowers are so different in so many ways. But beauty is the same. Right? :)
TTcacti - C&S database software - http://www.ttimpact.hr/anttun/
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Has anyone found a way of growing this without the dieback on the older growth. I've given up growing it as a sales plant because it always has a scruffy lower half. The only plants I've seen in habitat, which presumably have less water than in cultivation, have all been small but haven't had the dieback that we get in cultivation. There was a clean 20+ headed plant that won best cactus at the US National a couple of years ago.
Stuart
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

True, Stuart - I wonder whether having a free root run in habitat is the reason? They definitely need plenty of water when in bud, or the bud aborts.

Love the frilly flowers on yours, Antun!
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
TS Hakansson
BCSS Member

Post by TS Hakansson »

They need plenty of water during the growing period, else you will have the dieback of the tips and an unnecessary ugly plant. They also flowers only from the new tips, so pamper your plants!
Growing mostly globular,smallgrowing cacti north of Stockholm