Pachypodium brevicaule questions

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
phyllonemus
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Pachypodium brevicaule questions

Post by phyllonemus »

I'm getting the "Pachypodium virus"and have already 2 bispinosum, 1 lamerei and 1 densiflorum.

I realy like to buy a brevicaule, but according to some information on the web, thrustfull or not, is this the most difficult Pachypodium to care for.

Is the brevicaule realy that difficult anD what are the major difficulties of this plant ?
Riny

Varied collection of succulents but I especially like Euphorbia's, Apocynaceae and Cucurbitaceae.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Pachypodium brevicaule questions

Post by Tina »

Hi
and yes , it does seem to be the most difficult to keep growing, I have been trying grow my plant for about 3 years now but it's not happy and looks like it's fading away, if I was you I would buy one at the start of the season, don't spend a lot & try to source one locally so it's not been unpotted & mucked around for weeks or months on end.
I got mine from specks as an unrooted plant so probably why I have had problems.
The easier thing to do is buy a grafted one but they don't always look quite right & often seem spinier.

Maybe a better grower will post on here, I was advised NOT to keep them too hot but have never had the courage to keep them at 10c in my big greenhouse, mine lives in the 15C greenhouse with the other choice Pachypodiums & Euphorbia.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
David_K
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Post by David_K »

The current wisdom is to grow them cool and not over heat them. Having said that I have never been able to grow them successfully, despite long term success with most other Pachypodium species, at any temperature and have tried and lost many over the years.
Most growers, with a few exceptions, rate brevicaule as a real pig to grow and only keep them for two to three years before they die.
David Kirkbright
Society Treasurer & Trustee,
Northants and MK Branch
Long time grower (not always well) of almost anything.
Visitors welcome but check first.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Mine is not a cutting, but orginally seed sown. I have mine for about three years now. But I do keep mine warm throughout the year (around 15C). However I do give it a splash very regularly, also in the winter when the leaves have shed. Have not met any problems in the three years. I have not noticed much growth, but not so strange as it is not that fast growing. I must not have looked well enough. I almost had a flower this year (it aborded), so I must be doing something (almost) right.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

I've never done very well with it but I've seen them grown each year at C&Js wholesale nursery in California where they grow them quickly with no apparent problems. Their seed supply comes from their own seed grown stock plants well over 15cms across which most people would assume were habitat plants though I've seen their rapid growth from seed over the years. They often have smaller plants available but I don't buy they now as they don't like a check in growth and take way too long to re-establish after bare-rooting and being in transit for a few days. They grow them at a high temperature with regular watering and feeding. In the UK, I think its just the heat, and particularly the winter heat that they lack. The best plant I've seen over here belonged to the late Alan Leach who regularly exhibited it as Edenbridge show. He kept it at a min 15C in winter and it was kept permanently all year round in a saucer of water.

Stuart
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Its not just heat. My office is often 30C even in winter due to computers in there, but I've lost one big one a couple of seedlings in there. My advice for this species is: just say no. This is one plant that does not like being away from its habitat. Too many have been lost already. I rarely say that about most plants, but in this case, I suspect very few people manage to grow it successfully.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Diane
BCSS Member

Post by Diane »

Yes, I agree that P. brevicaule is a real challenge to grow, your best bet is to obtain a small seed-grown plant, not an import or older plant - they don't like root disturbance much. Not easy to do, as they are not often offered for sale.

I've had a few ("had" is the operative word!), but I do have this one, which was bought as a small seedling (about 2cm across) about 8-10 years ago, and it's still going! It's now in a 10 cm pot, so has grown quite a bit, and has produced several "arms". I keep it in a propagator in the winter, and give it an occasional splash of water to stop the roots drying up completely, which seems to be the best way to keep them going. It will shed its leaves in winter (which this one is about to do) and I have flowered it occasionally (but not this year).
Pachypodium brevicaule
Pachypodium brevicaule
IMG_0099 (550x526).jpg (207.87 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
I have also grown these from seed - these two are P. brevicaule ssp. leucoxanthemum (supposed to be the white flowered form) and these are now 3 years old, in 6cm pots:
Pachypodium brevicaule ssp. leucoxanthemum
Pachypodium brevicaule ssp. leucoxanthemum
IMG_0101 (550x413).jpg (150.13 KiB) Viewed 5325 times
Again, these will spend winter in the propagator.
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I've even lost grafted seedlings! :sad:
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Julie
Registered Guest

Post by Julie »

Diane, what a gorgeous plant. You must be very proud of it! And the babies too. I've never seen one for sale, and at least now I know they are hard to grow and to RESIST, for the sake of the plant. Just like C. burgeri... I would love a red jelly tot but there would be tears before long.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

in a notice on this specy I read that an important thing is to water them with rainwater as they grow in quartz
real or not ?