Spring clean in the greenhouse

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
gerald
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Spring clean in the greenhouse

Post by gerald »

After some problems with mealy bugs over the winter I would like to give the greenhouse a thorough cleaning before the spring season starts. It's a wooden lean-to only 6x8 in size so should not be too difficult. Are there any products recommended for this job? Something both fungicidal and insecticidal would be ideal for staging, floor, frame and wall, and possibly glass too.
RAYWOODBRIDGE
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Spring clean in the greenhouse

Post by RAYWOODBRIDGE »

I always use Jeyes fluid.

Ray
Ray

BCSS member 50155
DKG member 311605
Echinocereenfreund member 100

Cactus only collection mainly from seed.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

RAYWOODBRIDGE wrote:I always use Jeyes fluid.

Ray
Same here. Slightly diluted and wearing protective gloves.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
gerald
BCSS Member
Branch: OXFORD

Post by gerald »

Yes I'd considered Jeyes Fluid but it's been around for so long now I was wondering if there was anything new available. Can't beat tried and tested I suppose! So I will go with that. THX (tu)
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

Good idea :) I had a bit of a clearout today and I think the staging is held together with cobwebs, weeds that have somehow snuck in behind the firewood, and general detritus from drying wood and kindling.

Does it bleach green plastic staging? Although it can't do a tenth what the sun has already done. :lol:
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

Julie wrote:Does it bleach green plastic staging?
Can't help you there, Julie, as my staging is aluminium. I wouldn't have thought there would be much of a negative effect, especially if you rinse off the mixture after a few minutes.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
DaveW
BCSS Member
Branch: NOTTINGHAM
Role within the BCSS: Branch President

Post by DaveW »

Try Jeyes Fluid underneath on a bit that does not show first Julie to see if it discolours. Strange to say Jeyes fluid is now banned as a pesticide in garden centres, but stocked even by our local Co-Op supermarket as a disinfectant. :???:

The official line is:-

"Tar acids and oils

Tar acids and tar oils are derivatives of coal tar. Various formulations are available as liquids or pastes.
Limitations: Should be kept off the skin and away from eyes, food and food containers. Hazardous to fish. Protective gloves, for example neoprene (not natural rubber) and goggles should be worn when handling the concentrated sterilants.
These products are no longer labelled for pesticide use, but are available for the sterilization of greenhouse structures, seed trays and pots.

Liquid concentrate: Jeyes Fluid

Armillatox Soap Based Outdoor Cleaner

Ready-to-Use spray: Jeyes Fluid"

Don't think our supermarket warns householders to wear gloves and goggles for any disinfectant! Are you committing an offence then if when sterilising your staging's it happens to kill a few mealy bugs and effectively becomes a pesticide? :lol: