ugliest graft

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

ugliest graft

Post by Tina »

whitesloania graft 3_14.jpg
Hi all
Here's a grafted whitesloanea crassa plant that a friend sent me last year, it has to be one of the oddest looking grafts I have even seen- I have given it a serious finger poke & it's quite firmly attached. It looks so false as it sits with my other hoodia's and larryleachia.
Anyone else got an unusual looking graft ???

I do have a small own roots plant that looks very nice, any cultivation tips please.
Last edited by Tina on Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
jfabiao
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: ugliest graft

Post by jfabiao »

Does it have to be an asclep graft? I have this Lophophora, my first ever graft AND regraft as well. It grew quite normal while grafted to Pereskiopsis, but since I regrafted it to Myrtillocactus it looks like something out of an 80's B-series horror movie. Still, it was my first ever graft and I love it all the same. :lol:
Sown and initially grafted in 2009, regrafted 2013.
Lophophora_williamsii_09204_20150315.jpg
Lophophora_williamsii_09204_20150315.jpg (218.34 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
Z

In sunny Lisbon, Portugal.
The Clumsy Gardener
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Some years ago I ordered a Pseudolithos from a well know nursery. It came grafted on a rather dessicated Hoodia with roots like dry string. Hoodias are almost impossible to root and this one refused and eventually rotted away and I was unable to save the Pseudolithos.

Not happy and haven't been back to that Nursery even though they have plants that I want.
Julie
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Julie »

That graft is nowhere near as ugly as Tina's. Those wooly tufts are gorgeous!

Mike, that is sad that with your TLC the poor plant didn't survive. Did you contact the nursery? If the stock was shrivelled on arrival they should have either replaced or refunded.
Happy carrier of Forby Disorder - an obsession with Euphorbia obesa.

NB. Anyone failing to provide a sensible name for me to address them will be called, or referred to, as Fred.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

I didn't Julie and I certainly should have.

But I've walked away.