Spikes vs Flowers

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
JoZoo
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MANCHESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Spikes vs Flowers

Post by JoZoo »

So we all know the flowers on a cactus are awesome but looking at the collection today I think I enjoy seeing the fresh spikes more. What does everyone else think!!!
Maintain National collections of Copiapoa, Matucana and Turbinicarpus for Chester Zoo
Personal favorites Ferocactus, Astrophytums or anything with a purple or pink colour.
Chris43
BCSS Member
Branch: HIGH WYCOMBE
Role within the BCSS: Branch Vice Chair

Re: Spikes vs Flowers

Post by Chris43 »

Certainly for some species the new spines are lovely. Some of the Feros and Thelos are beautifully coloured when they first emerge, and then tend to a rather dull version over time. But for me, when a plant I have nurtured for some years comes into flower for the first time, it is a real event.

Which is better? Not sure, just a different way to get pleasure from our favourite plants.
Chris, Chinnor, Oxon, UK
Mammillaria enthusiast
BCSS High Wycombe Branch.
http://www.woodedge.me.uk/Home.html
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

New spines can be neat, but older ones can be impressive too when they get wet. Here's Echinocactus polycephalus after a summer thunderstorm.
polycephalus-0801.jpg
Cheshire, UK
CactusFanDan
BCSS Member
Branch: MANCHESTER

Post by CactusFanDan »

Fresh spines are lovely for sure. Eriosyce show some nice colours in their fresh spines. :smile:
Eriosyce aurata. It's also fascinating to watch the spines transition from juvenile to adult in this species, since they seem to transition very slowly compared to other cacti.
DSCF7509(2).jpg
E. bulbocalyx v. marayesensis. Lovely reddish fresh spines.
DSCF7506(2).jpg
-Dan
Growing an eclectic mix of Cacti, with a few Caudiciforms and other Succulents. Also interested in African bulb plants.
My C&S blog
Jess
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Jess »

As someone with very little chance of flowers form most of my plants as they're grown indoors all year round, I say spikes are just as beautiful.

A lot of what attracts me to plants in the first place is their shape in general, as I have bought almost everything in my collection when it's not been flowering anyway!

Though I am also getting a big kick out of having a E. milii that has been constantly flowering since I bought it, and if I DID have access to a greenhouse space or just a garden space I would probably attempt to flower some of my plants that need a proper cold rest, too.
- Jess (a ragtag windowsill garden[er]).
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

You are quite right Jess, many species need a cold dry rest to get better flowers. Cheers