Caudiciforms - general help/info Please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
PhilW
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Caudiciforms - general help/info Please

Post by PhilW »

Here is my small caudiciform collection and would love to expand in the future, but I am not fully knowledgeable on their dormancy periods and when its safe or not safe to water as I think these differ in the plants you see - my plan is to successfully grow them not kill them off! :oops:

I have at the rear, Ibervillea Lindheimeri and Euphorbia Bupeurifolia, middle (l-r) discorea elephantipes, cyphostemma elephantopus and calibanus hookeri and front, euphorbia stellata.

Would anyone be able to let me know such periods and info for my plants please?

Also my E. Stellata has a mark on each large leaf, is this normal and do these die back to make way for new growth coming through as there does appear to be 3 small leaves emerging in the centre of the plant?

With my E. Bupeurifolia when is it safe to re pot this plant deeper as someone told me to do this to encourage a fatter caudex which I didn't know?

Any help most welcome and appreciated (tu)

Nick_G
BCSS Member

Re: Caudiciforms - general help/info Please

Post by Nick_G »

Just let the plants tell you Keith, there are no hard and fast rules.

I have two Adenium obesum plants. Last winter one went dormant and the other kept it's leaves so I continued to water it right through the winter months at a minimum temp of probably 12C. Both got through the winter fine, one was happy to keep growing and the other didn't want to. As I said in your D.gigas thread my D.gigas grew all last winter and spring, went dormant a couple of months ago and is now coming back into growth. If that's what it wants to do then that's fine by me, no matter what the books or the experts say.
BCSS no.33806

Turbinicarpus, Lophophora, Ariocarpus, Lobivia and Gymnocalycium
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Calibanus hookeri is a tough plant. Mines right in the corner of the greenhouse where it must get down pretty close to freezing if not lower. I just water it in summer and let it go dry in winter, and it does fine. But looking at your plant, I'd say the leaves are too wide for that, and your plant is probably a Beaucarnia recurvata (reddening at the leaf base happens for this plant but not Calibanus).

Dioscorea elephantipes is basically a winter grower, although I have had them grow at other times when the feel like it, or not grow at all one year. Give them a big pot and plenty of water, and space for the vine. It too can stand the cold.

Cyphostemmas are more temperature sensitive, and can be prone to stem die back (top of stem turns to mus, which progresses down the plant). I keep mine in the house in winter, having learnt the hard way.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

ralphrmartin wrote:Cyphostemmas are more temperature sensitive, and can be prone to stem die back (top of stem turns to mus, which progresses down the plant). I keep mine in the house in winter, having learnt the hard way.
I have a big one I keep in an unheated room at the first floor, along with most of my other succulents. From my experience it does not need to stay warm like many other caudiciform plants. But it will stay above freezing.
PhilW
BCSS Member

Post by PhilW »

again thanks chaps - appreciate the info (tu)
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Aiko wrote:
ralphrmartin wrote:Cyphostemmas are more temperature sensitive, and can be prone to stem die back (top of stem turns to mus, which progresses down the plant). I keep mine in the house in winter, having learnt the hard way.
I have a big one I keep in an unheated room at the first floor, along with most of my other succulents. From my experience it does not need to stay warm like many other caudiciform plants. But it will stay above freezing.
Maybe the difference is that it is cold and humid in Cardiff.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Post by Eric Williams »

I am with Ralph regarding Calibanus hook. Tough as old boots. Mine lives outside from April to Sept. Then taken into the g/house for the Winter at around 4-5 C, but kept totally dry. Cheers
IainS
Registered Guest

Post by IainS »

Hi Phil: We acquired our Calibanus hookeri from Rene's auction and it has lived outside since. Becky says it's been transformed, although I don't have "before and after" photos to confirm how much. We also got a Beaucarnia recurvata at the same time, which has also really responded brilliantly living outside on the patio. (And the Aloe plicatilis is doing well too, adding several new leaves.)

Our Cyphostemma juttae is still small, although currently sprouting good leaves. Aiko: When you say "I have a big one" - and I'm not going to fall into the obvious response! - how big is big?
"Avoidance doesn't work"
PhilW
BCSS Member

Post by PhilW »

Good to hear all is growing well IainS (tu)
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Aiko »

ralphrmartin wrote:Maybe the difference is that it is cold and humid in Cardiff.
I wonder if the Netherlands is any less humid (at least in winter).
IainS wrote:Our Cyphostemma juttae is still small, although currently sprouting good leaves. Aiko: When you say "I have a big one" - and I'm not going to fall into the obvious response! - how big is big?
About sixty / seventy centimeters tall and fifteen centimeters wide trunk at the base.