Agave talk & pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
RICHAUD
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Agave talk & pictures

Post by RICHAUD »

spinesandrosettes wrote:Richaud,
Regarding the clear and beautiful variegation of your Agave titanota plants pictured (tu) , do you provide any special lighting conditions to maintain the variegation, or would you say that what some of us seem to experience as lack of stability in the variegation is clone-dependent? Any insight you are willing to share would be appreciated.
Tom
Hi Tom
It's new offshoots so I must to wait that they 'll be older to answer properly at your question :wink:
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest

Post by spinesandrosettes »

Thanks, and I'd love to know how it progresses.
The reason I ask, is I've had terrible luck with them.
Here's the first one I got over 3 years ago. I thought they were just oh so cool, had to have one...
2012 4 3  Titanota MP c.JPG
I was feeling pretty good about that. A beauty!

3 years later....

ugh, not so much...
2015 09 19 A titanota MP #1 X750.jpg
They can get bid up high on Ebay looking like picture 1. I wonder how many people would buy them if they knew they'd look like picture 2 in time? Was it a fluke? I tried again...with an older specimen to start. Same final result.

What I'm wondering is if my results are due to a mistake made in lighting. Too little? Too much? I've tried it both ways, the end result seems to be the same. Now, I'm very reluctant to waste my money on something that's only going to appeal to me for a limited time. The non-variegated specimens are a dime a dozen... Probably not going to buy another variegated one, unless I can find out what's up and get one that stays variegated.
RICHAUD
BCSS Member

Post by RICHAUD »

a question : where do you buy this titanota mediopicta ?
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Hi
Probably from China, I have had the same experience twice, it's really annoying.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest

The one I pictured came from Texas. The other (not pictured) from a very well known propagator of rare and variegated plants in Southern California, from whom I also have several other plants I'm extremely pleased with over the years.
As Tina has indicated, it seems I'm not the only one experiencing difficulties with some titanota not holding it's variegation.
I'm just very interested about ones out there that do retain clear variegation as they get older, to add to my personal education on this issue.
Richaud, all the ones you pictured in this thread look awesome, and they appear to be strongly variegated.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

with some other Agave's the amount of light does make a difference. I 've received some that looked barely variegated but with more light it increases but I don't have any experience with variegated titanota
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tina »

Here's one I wouldn't mind people having a good look at, it was sold to me as agave utahensis 'nudum', so spineless but is it what it say's. There are a few hybrids now like sharkshin & sharkskin shoes- that look similar but this does look right to me but....what do you think ?
utahensis nudum.jpg
utahensis nudum leaf-.jpg
utahensis nudum leaf-.jpg (125.05 KiB) Viewed 1980 times
Agave Titanota mediopicta, unstable form. To get this to show up * sometimes I leave it under the bench for a few days & then place in full sun.
titanota mediopicta A.jpg
Agave Titanota marginata, lovely teeth & colouring on this plant, once the margins are yellow it doesn't revert.
titanota marginata1.jpg
Agave titianota compacta for the green lovers
TITCOMP (2).jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Hi Tina,

Your Utahensis 'Nudum' looks suspiciously like Yucca Whipplei. I'll add a photo in of one I brought back from Baja in 1882 (in the days when all you needed was a phyto)
Stuart
MikeT
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Stuart wrote:one I brought back from Baja in 1882 (in the days when all you needed was a phyto)
Didn't realise phytosanitary certificates were in use in the 19th century. You're ageing very well, Stuart :wink:
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
spinesandrosettes
Registered Guest

Tina wrote:Here's one I wouldn't mind people having a good look at, it was sold to me as agave utahensis 'nudum', so spineless but is it what it say's. There are a few hybrids now like sharkshin & sharkskin shoes- that look similar but this does look right to me but....what do you think ?
Hi Tina,
That's a very nice looking plant. I'm not familiar with the A. utahenis "Nudum", and haven't looked it up yet, but in just viewing your picture, it is quite believable and feasible for that plant to be a mutant, non-marginal spined selection of one of the utahensis subspecies. The rosette itself does have the dense, many-leaved utahensis look, and the leaves featuring the triangular, keeled shape.

As an example of some wild variation within A. utahensis Eborispina, here's one acquired that was grown from seed collected in Peach Springs, Arizona. To me, it looks nothing at all like the other Eborispina individuals that I like so much.
2013 1 10  A utahensis Peach Springs AZ X800.jpg
As far as the hybrids you mentioned, I'm not seeing even remotely much resemblance to the Sharkskin hybrids.

A. Sharkskin, and A. Sharkskin Shoes..."Sharkskin has been around a long time, and is a naturally occurring hybrid of A. nickelsiae X A. victoriae reginae, the name given by Huntington Botanical Gardens. "Sharkskin Shoes" is the Yucca Do selected clone Tissue Cultured offering of the same hybrid. I have both, but I can't honestly say there's much of a difference, if any, which makes sense since they are actually the same hybrid.
Here's one of my several of each, this one acquired as "Sharkskin Shoes" ...the leaves do look shoe-like, I'm sure they would be tough but I doubt very comfortable. :wink:
20215 09 24 A Sharkskin Shoes X800.jpg
The hybrid features the more open leaved nature of A. nickelsiae, with the rosette reminiscent of A. v-r, and seems to be a larger plant than either of the two parent species, as judged from my own plants.

By the way, thanks for mentioning about putting the plant under the bench. Although it seems counter-intuitive, it does strike me that the most variegated my A. titanota plants appear, is in the winter, when light is weaker. In the summer, the variegation on a couple of the plants seems to be virtually non-existent. I'm definitely going to explore more dark lighting options than I've tried, at least temporarily, and see the effect. It can't get worse variegation-wise than it already is.