Agave talk & pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Agave talk & pictures

Post by Tina »

aren't they expensive, lophantha I was giving away :eek: , its easy to grow & offsets a lot normally.
Our local dobbies was killing off lots of manfreda last year
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Tina wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:43 pm aren't they expensive, lophantha I was giving away :eek: , its easy to grow & offsets a lot normally.
I cannot comment on that, just maybe that the lophantha could be one of the fancier cultivars? Anyway, it was certainly offsetting like mad!
Mat
NorfolkExotics
Registered Guest
Role within the BCSS: Non-Member

Post by NorfolkExotics »

I managed to pick up an Agave ovatifolia from a garden centre in November last year that was left over from the season. It had a fair bit of damage from leaf/root rot from being overwatered/left in very rich compost for too long. This seems to be an unfortunate pattern at a lot of places that don’t stock a lot of cacti and succulents. I got a good deal in the end though, £12 for a decent sized ovatifolia. It’s been growing out of the damage rapidly, shouldn’t be long until it turns into a nice plant.

91AC0D5F-1A65-4FA4-AA69-6BEB14FEA410.jpeg
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

Tina wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 5:43 pm aren't they expensive, lophantha I was giving away :eek: , its easy to grow & offsets a lot normally.
I think I paid €4 for mine, I've got 6 and expanding swiftly! Would have been much swifter but I put a few outside in the ground when they were too small, so they are in recovery
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Norfolk exotics, that's a bargain ovatifolia, wish they had them at my garden centre .
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Ovatifolia is pretty hardy isn’t it?
WayneM
Registered Guest

Post by WayneM »

Ovatifolia is an excellent choice for our climate climate.

If on the small side, you could always put a cloche over the top.

I'm a huge fan, i have a few .
PXL_20231007_131316573.jpg

Wayne
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Thanks Wayne. I shall look one out for my small outdoor collection.
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

They can get very big though Mike, fine if your outdoor collection is only small in number not area!
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

It’s not that big...