Agave talk & pictures

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stuart
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Agave talk & pictures

Post by Stuart »

Agave Kichiokan.JPG
Once they reach their maximum diameter, they just seem to go upwards. This one is in Bob Kent's garden in the US.
Agave Kichiokanb.JPG
These are all Chinese plants at a wholesale nursery in the EU, they've been held in a dormant state while they were shipped in a sea container and showed no signs of etiolation despite being in the dark for six to eight weeks. There's mostly yellow ones there but there are a few white and cream ones amongst the others. I don't think I've seen one flower, judging for maturity at a show is based on the height.

Stuart
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

where about in the US is that growing outside Stuart?
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

US photo was taken at Poway, a few miles NE of San Diego.

Stuart
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

There's a picture of a flowering Kichiokan in the thread linked below in case you haven't seen it...
https://agaveville.org/viewtopic.php?p= ... ing#p33987
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Patrick
BCSS Member

Post by Patrick »

Thanks both, I had no idea they got so tall and if it's growing outside north of San Diego I should be able to grow it here.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Agave verschaffeltii 'becky' flowering back in 2021, these never get big, quite a delicate plant.
You can see the typical slimming of the leaves and upright growth as it prepares to flower.
verschaffeltii becky A 2021.jpg
verschaffeltii becky 2021.jpg
agave parviflora variegated this is a dwarf agave and really small plant.
parviflora.jpg
Even more interesting is it had variegated seed pods.
variegated pod.jpg
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Patrick
BCSS Member

Post by Patrick »

Interesting plants Tina
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

The only problem is I have misplaced the seeds :bangh:
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Tina wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:30 pm The only problem is I have misplaced the seeds :bangh:
I was going to ask that came out of those seedpods, hope you find them!
Mat
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Homebase Edinburgh has some larger Agaves on sale at the moment, I wonder how long they gonna survive unsheltered outside in the current weather (constant rain and 2-5C through the day)... The one on the right had 3+ grow points, quite pretty I must say.
20231210_161620.jpg
Mat