Forum Update

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Bill
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Forum Update

Post by Bill »

We have undertaken a major update of the site and forum software, if you find anything missing, cant make something work then please pm me.

Apart from the look, which will be changed shortly, it be necessarily the same as before though, the main changes are:

Top left; Quick Links which gives you access to:
  • Your Posts
  • New Post
  • Unanswered Posts
  • Active Posts
  • Search
  • Members list
Top Right; Arrow next to your user name:
  • User Control Panel
  • Logout
As I say any issues. please let me know.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Forum Update

Post by Aiko »

Bill wrote: Top left; Quick Links which gives you access to:
  • Your Posts
  • New Post
  • Unanswered Posts
  • Active Posts
  • Search
  • Members list
Will it be possible to have this (also) back on the page on the top right, where it was before. So where 'Mark forums read' currently resides all on his own.

Via 'Quick links' it will be an additional click to get to these functions. May not be much, one click, but during the year it adds up and more forced clicking is the opposite of good user experience for any site or application.
Bill

Post by Bill »

I'll add it to the wish list, no guarantees it will be done though.

Bill

Mainly Haworthia and Gasteria, a few other South African succulents and the odd spiky thing.
admg26
BCSS Member
Branch: CHELMSFORD

Post by admg26 »

Just to say. I like the new look of the forum! Thanks!
Alison. Mostly interested in succulents. Always like a good Faucaria and outdoor Sedum. Currently gathering plants that could be confused with Pachyphytum oviferum. :)
Carl
BCSS Member
Branch: ISLE OF WIGHT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Carl »

It's certainly a lot snappier, I would've liked to have seen Xenforo used but I can understand that this is a far more cost effective alternative.

Carl Bullock (Isle of Wight Branch Treasurer, Webmaster)
[IW Branch Website|Branch Facebook Page|My Personal Facebook Page]
BCSS 50189
Rayc11
BCSS Member
Branch: CRAWLEY

Post by Rayc11 »

New Forum looks good, Bill, just one small issue I've noticed the Favicon that should show up on the page tab seems to be missing, see image below:-
2015-11-23_08-47-29.png
2015-11-23_08-47-29.png (8.78 KiB) Viewed 2359 times
RayC - South Leicestershire
Membership no:- 20774
Coventry Branch
IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

Big improvement, but some small things could do with a tweak - the green on post titles in the post list view doesn't have enough contrast with the background. The green needs to be a bit darker.

Also, there's way too much succulent and not enough cactus in the new logo :lol:
Bill

Post by Bill »

On the list Ray, as is the green topic titles Ian, and I take you mean the logo that is the same as the old one just more colour!
bcssweblogo_small (Custom).png
bcssweblogo_small (Custom).png (9.49 KiB) Viewed 2308 times

IanW
Registered Guest
Branch: LEEDS

Post by IanW »

I literally never noticed it before Bill, maybe the colour makes it stand out more now, you could've gotten away with it too if you'd kept it the same and not caused me to notice :lol:

I had another look at the forum topic title colours for what it's worth because something else didn't seem right and I couldn't put my finger on it - I think I can now. People's eyes are drawn to things based on the relative contrast, that with more contrast stands out more, as such I don't think it's that the green for the forum titles is inherently bad, but that the eye is drawn to the greater contrast from the black text of the forum posts and "Moderators" text. Because the black contrasts more you automatically notice this rather than the forum title, but the forum title is probably the most important information, as such I'd suggest that whilst darkening the green will help, it may be worth changing the text for the number of posts to a more subtle colour that has lower contrast with the background than the green for the forum titles does. Does that make sense?
Sylv
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Post by Sylv »

I agree with IanW about the topic title being way too light.Could it be darkened please?

Sylv