Mealy bug friendly?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Brian
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Mealy bug friendly?

Post by Brian »

Carl your comment is interesting that you get mealies inside your home. This is presumably because of warmth plus air circulation not as good as it might be. I do not think I have ever seen mealy bug outside.
Brian
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Brian »

Thanks for some great posts, only just studied them all due to being locked out. Terry you have a good point about hemlock, he he.
Carl
BCSS Member
Branch: ISLE OF WIGHT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Carl »

In this country I should think mealybug outside is uncommon but obviously in habitat it's where they live :wink:

Carl Bullock (Isle of Wight Branch Treasurer, Webmaster)
[IW Branch Website|Branch Facebook Page|My Personal Facebook Page]
BCSS 50189
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Brian can you give me the dilution you use for the neem? assume you do dilute it? I've not tried it, but it sounds good for Echeverias, which the mealies love!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Liz M
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I found mealy-bugs on holly when I was pruning it last year. I was concerned thinking I had brought it into the garden.
I followed the instructions on the bottle of neem oil. 10ml neem oil, 10 ml washing up liquid in 500 ml water. I put it in a spray bottle and shake well before use. It's very smelly but effective against mealies. Don't spray it on your Echeverias, as it badly marks the leaves. Spray it on the soil and the stems of them. Also, take off dead leaves and don't let leaf debris build up, it gives them hiding places.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Thanks Liz, this sounds really hopeful and I shall give it a try.
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
Nick1
Registered Guest

Post by Nick1 »

I read an article a little while ago that said ladybird larvae actively seek out and eat mealy bugs.
You'd have breed a new batch each year though as I don't think they survive the Winter. And of course you wouldn't be able to use pesticides.
Nick, West London
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

You don't have to raise them yourself. The commercial ladybird predator that is used for mealies is Cryptolaemus montrouzieri that you can buy in. However although biological controls are commonly used in commercial nurseries as part of an integrated pest control system, they are not easy for the amateur. Also, as Carl was complaining over SB Plant Invigorator, the purchase of small quantities can be quite expensive.
Carl
BCSS Member
Branch: ISLE OF WIGHT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Carl »

Spotted some mealybug on a cotoneaster yesterday! As for Neem you have to be careful what you use it on for instance you should not use it on epiphytic cacti as it will damage the stems.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Carl Bullock (Isle of Wight Branch Treasurer, Webmaster)
[IW Branch Website|Branch Facebook Page|My Personal Facebook Page]
BCSS 50189