A Delosperma?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
John Dos
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

A Delosperma?

Post by John Dos »

I got a few pieces of this stunning magenta-purple (?) Delosperma. I always get confused when looking at these look-alike Mesembrianthemaceae. It is not a trailing species (if it is a species at all) but an upright bush - 50cm - so it doesn't seem to be D. copperi, but I'm not sure at all.
Anybody can help?
a delo.jpg
Thank you!
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: A Delosperma?

Post by BrianMc »

Hi John,
I think this is a Lampranthus rather than a Delosperma. Probably much more suited than Delosperma to life in Gran Canaria too!(tu)

The Delosperma you refer to is D.cooperi not copperi and it is definitely what you show in the picture.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
John Dos
Registered Guest

Post by John Dos »

Thank you Brian,
of course you are right, it is cooperi not copperi. Lampranthus then.

There are lots of 'Mesembs' growing and flowering here, not only in gardens, also as ground-cover in public green (mostly Malephora and Carpobrotus) and many different genera in front gardens in the mountains. Usually they all are called 'Mesen + colour' over here, which does not really help! And the cuttings from these mountain grown plants look completely different when grown near sea level. At least triangular leaves stay so ... and bushes are bushes and do not mutate to creeping forms.
Carl
BCSS Member
Branch: ISLE OF WIGHT
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by Carl »

Grow's well here outside on the south coast, the purple form is quite hardy I pinched some broken pieces that had fallen from someone's garden wall last month and now I have 8 little plants romping away :grin:

Carl Bullock (Isle of Wight Branch Treasurer, Webmaster)
[IW Branch Website|Branch Facebook Page|My Personal Facebook Page]
BCSS 50189
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by iann »

Malephora and Carpobrotus are weeds :) Lampranthus are nicer, but might still be quite invasive in your climate. They struggle here, maybe surviving one or two winters outside but not longterm. Malephora seems to be hardiest, but I still make sure I have some cuttings safe in the greenhouse.
Cheshire, UK
Greenlarry
Registered Guest

Post by Greenlarry »

Very nice!
You can take the boy out of the greenhouse, but you can't take the greenhouse out of the boy!