Sedumbook

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Harry B
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Sedumbook

Post by Harry B »

I have this fantastic book from 1994,

but it is in black and white and sometimes the pictures puzzle me . Do you know if there is a colored version or another book with equal high standard for sale somewhere?

greets
harry
Sven
Registered Guest

Re: Sedumbook

Post by Sven »

Snap! Somehow I have two of these books.

I heard there was a second edition in colour, but I must have got that wrong, because I can't find it.
Liz M
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Trustee

Post by Liz M »

I have this and there is a section of colour photos, for identification and then black and white photos in the text. It is the best book for information and identification of Sedums.
After reading Keith's comment, I should have said that mine is a hardback, which is why it has plenty of colour photos. I was not aware there was a soft cover version.
Last edited by Liz M on Mon May 30, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obsessive Crassulaceae lover, especially Aeoniums but also grow, Aloes, Agaves, Haworthias and a select number of Cacti.
Keith L
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Keith L »

Yours is the print on demand softcover edition, Harry, which was authorised after the original book went out of print, and from memory - I have only seen this version once - the colour photos of the original edition are completely omitted and not even present in black and white. Timber Press authorised a number of their titles to be produced in this way, but you are never told of this major omission if you purchase it.

Regards

Keith
Harry B
Registered Guest

Post by Harry B »

Thanks all.
I'm going to try and find it somewhere.
Harry
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Tony R »

Harry,

John Pilbeam had a hard-backed copy of this book for sale at the recent Havering Cactus Mart.
Contact details on this page: http://www.cactus-mall.com/connoisseurs ... terms.html

Tony
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)