Seed sowing - Haworthia, Aloe, Gasteria etc Topic is solved

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
BrianMc
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Seed sowing - Haworthia, Aloe, Gasteria etc

Post by BrianMc »

I would like to add that older seed can be very difficult to germinate, so if the source of your seed is dubious, that might be the issue.

I would not sow any of these seeds in November unless you have an articial lighting set up.
Haworthia germination can be very easy when fresh and sowed with conditions of high and low temperature differentials, as may Aloes or gasteria from the winter rainfall areas.
I would suggest that Aloes from tropical Africa or Madagascar will germinate better with higher and more constant temperatures.
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Temperature differentials now set up!
Thanks for the info - one and each
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Brian
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by Brian »

I hoped nobody would notice that Aiko! See photographs. Cussonia spicata have not germinated yet; the seeds were massive. I’m not expecting much success with them and posts on here make me reluctant to try Haworthia until spring.

The gasteria have fairly shot up despite me not because of me!
Attachments
514BF53A-D275-4EC0-99FB-EB3A9F961251.jpeg