MSG Bulletin

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
ragamala
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

MSG Bulletin

Post by ragamala »

My copy arrived today, thank you team.

It looks an interesting edition, and well-illustrated with interesting pics. Two articles caught my eye immediately from the contents page. Steven Hammer's article on plant crimes must be a sad warning, especially to those who profit from extreme prices for ebay succulent sales, about the knock-on effect which extends beyond the sole argument of people getting what they can for their plants, just because they can.

It was a little disappointing to see the "Seed Distribution Update" article, where Alain Sutton, who is to be congratulated for taking up the reins, states that the 2020 distribution will be restricted to Europe. I can appreciate this may have consequences for MSG members and membership figures. Given we are in a state of Brexit limbo until the end of this year it is perhaps not likely to be resolved even before the 2021 distribution.
Terry S.

Re: MSG Bulletin

Post by Terry S. »

The problems of sending seeds outside of Europe should not change after Brexit, it will just be that phytosanitary certificates might well be needed to send seeds into the EU. Many non-EU countries now have restrictions and/or additional documentation to legally allow entry of seeds. In the past it was just the USA, Australia and New Zealand that applied entry restrictions, but in the last year Japan and Korea have both required Phytos and I suspect that there are also new conditions being applied in other countries too. Trying to comply with these various requirements would be substantial additional work for the Seed Distributor. Hence EU only and we can only guess what the situation might be next year.

The American system of providing a free licence to enthusiasts to import small quantities of seed via designated quarantine stations is beginning to look rather good. Maybe that's what we should be lobbying for in the UK after Brexit.
ragamala
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTH FYLDE

Post by ragamala »

Terry S. wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:09 pm The problems of sending seeds outside of Europe should not change after Brexit, it will just be that phytosanitary certificates might well be needed to send seeds into the EU.
Quite right. Which is why it is a little sad, or shall I say puzzling, that the MSG has restricted seed distribution to Europe this year. I blame this partly on the confusion that has arisen - even in this forum where erroneous advice from APHA has been propagated.

I can only hope that MSG membership has not declined in 2019, with no seed distribution, and will not further decline if "overseas" members will not receive seed distribution. I am sure this has been taken fully into account by those who have sustained MSG over decades and I can only wish them luck.
BrianMc
BCSS Member
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by BrianMc »

Bulletin arrived in Scotland today.

Many thanks (tu)
Especially interested in Mesembs. small Aloes and South African miniatures and bulbs.
Keen propagator and compulsive 'tickler'!
Instagram #myscottishgreenhouse
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Mine is taking its time again. Anyone from outside the UK already has his / hers?
David1971
Registered Guest

Post by David1971 »

Aiko wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:46 am Mine is taking its time again. Anyone from outside the UK already has his / hers?
Not yet Aiko
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Now I do!
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

When can the next MSG Bulletin be expected? Anytime soon, perhaps?

For me personally the sowing deadline for mesembs from the seed list is approaching quickly (late March).
topsy
BCSS Trustee
Branch: BRISTOL
Role within the BCSS: Life Members

Post by topsy »

Hi to all you keen people out there.

The first Bulletin of 2020 is being collated, stapled and put into its envelopes today by the trusty team of Suzanne, Tony, Jennifer & Terry. The UK ones will definitely be mailed tomorrow 9.3.2020. The remainder for Europe and the rest of the world will be taken to the mailing house at the same time but may welll not leave their premises until the following day. There is an extensive seed list with copious amounts of Lithops seeds.

Alain, the seed purhaser and distributor, has a number of email addresses to email the list through to, please read the instructions through carefully. And don't forget that it is his first year of undertaking this job.

For those of you who do not know your membership number it is either on the envelope label or the carrier sheet.

Don't also forget that the vast majority of mesemb seed is viable for a very long time.

Regards, Suzanne
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Thanks Topsy. So it all could be well in before the heat of spring has arrived!