ELK 2020

Post details of any upcoming events, meets or newsworthy stories about our hobby.
Tina
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: ELK 2020

Post by Tina »

I go to SHOP not drink beer & take an odd plant home
I wouldn't mind staying an extra day or two if I had to. I buy plants I really like/want/have to have :wink: so there is no way I'd risk them I think Baz is pleased it does save him lots of Euro's & a lost weekend. Although the venue is great, food good with lots of choice & I love visiting Belgium.
If they want us back then they will need to try & sort something out, its not just the money lost I would be really upset if my new acquisitions got confiscated & killed.
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

IMG_5217.jpeg
The calm before the storm. 130 nurseries will be here tomorrow to fill 600 metres of sales space.

Stuart
Keith L
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Keith L »

Looks a lot better marquee than they used to have, Stuart. Hope it's air conditioned for your comfort if its as hot over there as here!

Regards

keith
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

IMG_5238.jpeg
Nice smart marquee now, shaded roof and open sides together with ample cold drinks made it OK. Current room temp at 10pm is 28C, aircon doesn’t seem to have reached Blankenberge yet. Even Travelodge rooms have a fan.

The largest Aztekium in the photo was selling for E2,000.
Stuart
Attachments
IMG_5242.jpeg
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

Stuart wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 9:22 pm The largest Aztekium in the photo was selling for E2,000.
:shock:
Ed

BCSS member 53038
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

Very interesting Stuart. I love my plants, but no way would I spend that sort of sum, or anything like it, on something that I might manage to kill in the next few months!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

And would you risk smuggling it back knowing that it could/would be destroyed?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member

Post by Stuart »

I don’t think even Kew would destroy an Aztekium though I’m not sure they’d recognise it either. I didn’t/wouldn’t buy it but will have a look to see if it’s still there.
Stuart
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

Stuart wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:31 pm I don’t think even Kew would destroy an Aztekium though I’m not sure they’d recognise it either. I didn’t/wouldn’t buy it but will have a look to see if it’s still there.
Stuart
I wasn't thinking "Kew type person". I was thinking dockside minion with limited horticultural knowledge but infinite powers by means of his uniform/badge.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Aiko
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Aiko »

I haven't spotted the 2000 euro Aztekium. But I have heard (and also not seen) of a 3500 euro Aztekium though!

(Maybe it is the same one and the price went up...)