Which Crassulae do I have here (references re. pyramidalis & friends)  Solved

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MatDz
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Which Crassulae do I have here (references re. pyramidalis & friends)

Post by MatDz »

For some time already I am looking for a written reference (online or maybe a book photo/scan, I was referred to G. Rowley's "Crassula. A grower's guide" as the best currently available resource about Crassulae) on the third Crassula I have below. The right hand one is a "classic" C. pyramidalis, on the left is a Buddha's Temple cultivar, but what do I have in the middle? It is sometimes referred to as "quadrangula" or "quadrangularis" (or even the opposite, pyramidalis is referred to as quadrangularis...), but the only reference to this name I found states it's merely a synonym to pyramidalis.

Given the size, a C. pyramidalis f. media ("f." stands for a "form" I believe?) looks promising, but I am wondering if someone in possession of G. Rowley's book I mentioned above, or any other really, could provide a photograph of the few pages covering these 3 plants?

Edit (before the photo for visibility): Also, does anyone know if the slides from the talk "Crassulas everywhere" by Derek Tribble are available anywhere? I found a great review of it here: https://www.southampton.bcss.org.uk/docs/Bcss0813.pdf

Mat
johno
Registered Guest
Branch: YORK
Role within the BCSS: Secretary

Re: Which Crassulae do I have here (references re. pyramidalis & friends)

Post by johno »

hi the one on the left is crassula buddha,s temple. the other two i have the same and called pyramidalis
johno
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

http://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel?a ... P&aID=1861

This site and the PDF linked to on that page might be useful.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
ChrisR
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD

Re: Which Crassulae do I have here (references re. pyramidalis & friends)  Solved

Post by ChrisR »

As with most Crassula taxa, pyramidalis is extremely variable across it range, so your two example are simply two different forms.

The name quadrangularis is referable to Crassula montana as C.montana subsp.quadrangularis, so nothing to do with pyramidalis........and quadrangula is simply an old synonym of pyramidalis.

I don't think Rowley's guide is the best resource for the Crassula enthusiast MatDz. It may be a pretty picture book but there are many mistakes of captions and text. It's usually really expensive if you can find one and poor value IMO.

Most serious Crassula students and growers use H.R.Tölken's 1977 2 volume "A Revision of the genus Crassula in Southern Africa" and his subsequent 1985 volume 14 of the "Flora of Southern Africa - Crassulaceae". Copies of both are inexpensive and sometimes available online.

A good online resource for Crassula is this; http://www.crassulaceae.ch/de/artikel?a ... D=2&aiID=A

This is a useful list of sections and species; http://www.crassulaceae.ch/uploads/file ... ctions.pdf

I hope that helps.
Last edited by ChrisR on Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

Thank you all for useful info and links! Seems like the middle one can simply be the "f. medio" I linked to, so just a different form of pyramidalis. I'll definitely read all the http://www.crassulaceae.ch materials, a quick glance was enough to tell it's a lot of quality information there.

And the C. montana subsp. quadrangularis just landed on my search list, maybe one day...

Edit: Had to accept one answer to mark the thread as solved, so went for the longest one ;)
Mat
MikeT
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

ChrisR wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:02 am Most serious Crassula students and growers use H.R.Tölken's 1977 2 volume "A Revision of the genus Crassula in Southern Africa" and his subsequent 1975 volume 14 of the "Flora of Southern Africa - Crassulaceae".
The Flora is 1985, which means Tolken could publish it subsequently without needing a time machine :wink:
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
ChrisR
BCSS Member

Post by ChrisR »

Ha....trust you to pick up on that typo - what happens with a bang on the head :lol:
Chris Rodgerson- Sheffield UK BCSS 27098

See www.conophytum.com for ca.4000 photos and growing info on Conophytum, Crassula & Adromischus.
MikeT
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Branch Treasurer

Post by MikeT »

Have to do my bit to try and keep you in order, Chris
Mike T

Sheffield Branch
BCSS member26525
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Nice one, Dr. T. !
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Tolken's books are not an easy read and I certainly wouldn't recommend them to a beginner with the genus. There are keys, good descriptions, and info about distribution, variability, etc. but it is very difficult to imagine what a plant looks like without any photographs and a minimum of line drawings.