Cactus Fertiliser comparison

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
gerald
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: OXFORD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Cactus Fertiliser comparison

Post by gerald »

I ran out recently so I had a quick look at the market to see what's available. There are several types and the values seemed to vary enormously, so I made up a little comparison table to make things clearer. Price information is from Amazon.
values.PNG
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Re: Cactus Fertiliser comparison

Post by habanerocat »

Are all those mixed at recommended strength? Making Chempak 8 more economical if mixed at half strength. If you know what I mean.
juster
BCSS Member
Branch: CROYDON
Role within the BCSS: Branch Show

Post by juster »

That's very useful Gerald, thanks. I generally use half strength Chempak 8, so definitely a good buy - I like the results too!
Croydon Branch member, growing mainly cacti and Echeverias
gerald
BCSS Member

Post by gerald »

Yes the table shows recommended (full) strength

So your Chempak 8 is even better value at 1/2 strength :smile:

The liquid feeds appear to be little more than water, given their very low NPK values and poor value for money!
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Last column in £ not p?
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

You might want to add Ericaceous Miracle Grow to that. It's what I use, and is at least as economical - I add a 500g packet costing £4 to 2000L of water (perhaps more dilute than recommended, but still more than strong enough).
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
gerald
BCSS Member

Post by gerald »

Phil_SK wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:52 pm Last column in £ not p?
Oops yes you're absolutely right, though the principle remains the same
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by Peter »

In my very long experience, the best manufacturer is Solufeed. They are manufacturers of commercial feeds. They also supply in retail size packs. My plants made excellent progress with intermittent feeds of their balanced, and their high potassium feeds. Highly recommended - and UK manufactured.
www.solufeed.com
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

That is a particularly interesting table Gerald in being able to compare the NPK ratio that various manufacturers seem to regard as suitable for succulent plants. There really are big differences between them when one might have expected the proportions to be based on some sort of consensus, perhaps even on past research. I will stick with my Chempak 8.

Incidentally how does the nitrogen component compare in the products with respect to organic (urea) and inorganic (nitrate and ammonium ions) components? I would love to see some good data about how readily nitrogen can be made available from urea under our cactus cultivation conditions. In neat molar or pumice, it could be very little. I don't take any chances and using Chempak 8, the nitrogen is all inorganic and readily absorbed.
gerald
BCSS Member

Post by gerald »

Peter wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:00 pm In my very long experience, the best manufacturer is Solufeed. They are manufacturers of commercial feeds. They also supply in retail size packs. My plants made excellent progress with intermittent feeds of their balanced, and their high potassium feeds. Highly recommended - and UK manufactured.
www.solufeed.com
I'm inclined to agree with you, I use their products to grow my giant pumpkin, and I got 2nd place in the UK last year :wink:

Which one is it specifically that you use for your cacti?