Pinguiculas

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Pinguiculas

Post by Eric Williams »

I have half a doz or so of the above plants in my g/h, all of the same species. I do not know if they are Mexican or non Mexican. I have read they need different growing methods. Is there one method that would suit both ? Is there a compost I can make up with normal compost materials, JI 2 etc, as I cannot get around to purchase some of the exotic additives etc. Thanks
purzo
BCSS Member
Branch: SHEFFIELD
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Pinguiculas

Post by purzo »

Do you have a picture Eric? Temperate and Mexicans would have different requirements. I grew most of my Mexicans in mostly inorganic mix for many years. In my experience they remained fairly small in that mix. I'm now using a mix based on peat and JI2 in which some are growing much bigger presumably because of the extra nutrients, but others have actually declined. I'll dig out my actual recipes tomorrow when I have a bit more time.
Cheers
Gary

Plant Interests
cacti & other succulents, carnivorous plants
FredG
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by FredG »

:useless:

Definitely need a picture or two

What happens to them in winter?
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Flowering last year, but deteriorating, that's why I need a re pot soon. In Winter they shrivel up, and some leaves die and turn brown. They soon buck
image.jpeg
up in Spring. Apologies for picture orientation.
FredG
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by FredG »

In winter the temperate Pinguicula leaves will have totally died off and the plant will form a hibernacula surrounded by gemmae. They will also die back if too hot.
The Mexican Pinguicula will lose their carnivorous leaves and make a tight Sempervivum-like crown of non carnivorous leaves. In spring the much larger carnivorous leaves will grow from the centre. These plants are brilliant at removing infections of whitefly.

Re-pot when the plants are in winter mode. Separately plant the gemmae on the soil surface or remove a few winter leaves off the Mexican type as leaf cuttings ( pullings if you're American).

A standard compost of Sphagnum Moss Peat, grit, sand 2-1-1 is suitable for both kinds although a little JI2 can be added for Mexicans. I've never found it necessary to play about with other ( all mineral) composts.

Your plant/s look/s like one of the Garden Centre hybrid Mexicans.

Bonus :- Pinguicula laueanna - pink form.

Red Form

Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

A useful site for information and supply of carnivorous plants of the native UK and foreign varieties is
wackswickedplants.co.uk
Their plants are excellent .... mail order is first rate.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Thanks Fred, very interesting information. I have sent you a PM. Cheers
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Apologies Fred. Could have gone by e mail ? Cheers