I love a good root

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
iann
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Member

I love a good root

Post by iann »

Turbinicarpus pseudomacrochele caught my eye with its miniature turnip
pseudomacrochele-0726.jpg
Mammillaria magnimamma
longimamma-0726.jpg
Can I count this as a root?
alstonii-0726.jpg
Copiapoa tenuissima would be expected to have big roots. The pot was slightly translucent, so they're also green!
tenuissima-0726a.jpg
Not as big as you might expect, but long and thick enough to be a nuisance potting them.
tenuissima-0726b.jpg
Cheshire, UK
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: I love a good root

Post by KarlR »

Nice roots! Got to love a big tap root (tu)

Here's a couple of fun ones. First a couple of Pseudolithos propped up by their own roots, and a sitting Adenium.
DSC_3685.JPG
DSC_1639.JPG
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Root made art!
Cheshire, UK
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

iann wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:41 pmRoot made art!
Indeed! Growing the roots into fanciful shapes would be fun for an exhibition. Don't know if the plants would be happy though.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

I especially like the Pseudolithos.
What did you do with the roots potting the plant up again? Untangled them, or just kept them in the same shape and pot them up in a bigger pot like that?
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

Aiko wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:02 pm I especially like the Pseudolithos.
What did you do with the roots potting the plant up again? Untangled them, or just kept them in the same shape and pot them up in a bigger pot like that?
Thanks! Just potted them in bigger pots. Not really possible to untangle them as the roots sort of stick together a bit, and also not necessary.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

The Pseudolithos I have / had have always had shallow roots. I don't know what you did to get them like this but if there is a secret, let me know...
KarlR
BCSS Member

Post by KarlR »

Aiko wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:12 pm The Pseudolithos I have / had have always had shallow roots. I don't know what you did to get them like this but if there is a secret, let me know...
These were just three years old from seed when that photo was taken. They are about 5 cm in diameter there. I grew them under artificial light, using metal halide 400w bulbs. The main benefit of this with regards to Pseudolithos is that those bulbs give off a lot of heat (I think around 25-35C at soil level). Coupled with the intense light from the bulbs and the mineral potting mix, I would water about every week all year.

I imagine the conditions would be comparable to those nurseries in Thailand that produce these plants by the thousands. Take a look at FB or Instagram - it's incredible to see.
Ivan
Registered Guest

Post by Ivan »

Beautiful looking roots!! Is this a good time to repot, especially the alstonii in flower? I have quite a few pots that are just rock solid. I'm afraid to pull them out and have a look at them. Also, it is not easy finding very long, deep pots that are not too wide as well.
MikeDom
BCSS Member
Branch: GLOUCESTER

Post by MikeDom »

When I read the title of the post, I though I had strayed onto the wrong forum. The word 'root' means something very different in Aussie slang. :oops:
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).