Crocks or Paper

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Rich45s
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES

Crocks or Paper

Post by Rich45s »

Not being able to reach my crocks today as was half way through a bit of DIY, when I fancied doing something more fun so potted up some cactus. As a result of not reaching the crocks, I just used some tissue paper to stop the soil etc falling out the drainage holes at the bottom.

As it’s such thin tissue paper is this an issue? In my mind, it makes more sense than crocks as the water will drip through and eventually by the time it collapses the lower soil will seemingly ‘harden’ up And so won’t fall through the holes by then.

Thank you for advice
BCSS Member 52305
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
Branch: SOUTH WALES

Re: Crocks or Paper

Post by Eric Williams »

I do one of two things. A bit of news paper on the bottom. Will rot away quite soon. The late Rene Giesler always said re pot with damp compost, just a spray of water. Prevents compost fron falling through drainage holes.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Ali Baba »

Paper. Crocks just move the water table further up the pot
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Ali Baba wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:25 pm Paper. Crocks just move the water table further up the pot
So crocks in a deeper pot then?
Cheshire, UK
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

You could do :grin: or if you want healthy roots all the way down to the bottom of the pot, no crocks and stand the pot on layer of sand
Rich45s
BCSS Member
Branch: KlNGSTON-on- THAMES

Post by Rich45s »

Nice one folks. Nice to be vindicated. I’ve often used paper, this was just laziness though
BCSS Member 52305
FredG
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by FredG »

I've been known to use non-woven shade cloth/ fleece. :wink:
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
https://fredg.boards.net/
MatDz
BCSS Member

Post by MatDz »

I've recently got a roll of "Fixman 192486 Compound & Plasterboard Joint Tape 48mm x 90m" off A., I cannot see me going through it anytime soon. 2-3 mm holes, self-adhesive on one side, I cut it in half for terracotta pots up to 14 cm.
Mat
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

I have used folded kitchen towel for several years. When I repot, the paper has usually disappeared.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

I use crocks in clay pots as I find the dry soil often falls out the larger single hole when I move pots, even months after potting. I don't find it necessary in plastic pots with their smaller, multiple drainage holes.

In clay pots I just use a single piece across the drainage hole. The slight curve keeps a gap between crock and pot. The compost reaches all the way to the bottom of the pot around this so, according to articles I've read this won't raise the water table any more than not using them.
Ed

BCSS member 53038