What's happened to my Turbinicarpus jauernigii?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

What's happened to my Turbinicarpus jauernigii?

Post by MikeDom »

It looks as though it is producing 3 offsets from the growing point, flowers still pushing through the centre of the 3 offsets. Is it the result of damage or something else - difficult to tell with all that wool? The rest of the plant looks healthy.

I don't want to damage the plant, so is it best to leave the offsets to grow or remove them now?

IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0152.jpg
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Terry S.

Re: What's happened to my Turbinicarpus jauernigii?

Post by Terry S. »

This could well have resulted from damage to the terminal meristem. If so then removing the offsets will not help the original plant, better to leave them, see what happens, and let the offsets get larger before using them as cuttings.
iann
BCSS Member
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE

Post by iann »

Enjoy. Most people only have single-headed plants.

Odd that flowers would be coming though from the centre. The pups suggest that the main meristem is dead, but the flowers suggest not. Perhaps all will become clear in time.
Cheshire, UK
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

I have a Matucana madisonorum doing something similar which seems to be the result of flower buds forming in an abnormal way. The central point is still growing and it has since produced several flowers. I guess it shouldn’t be surprising given the morphology of cactus flowers.
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

Here’s a picture. The offsets are very slow growing, I think they are about 3 years old now!
Attachments
63B47568-C927-4CC5-BCAD-16A18DC2F91C.jpeg
esp
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by esp »

My ancient, single head Loph. williamsii did this several years ago. I was thinking it was overdue offsetting, and it produced 4 pups from the centre. It did seem odd at the time.
They have now been pushed down to ground level and look normal. They seem to have grown at a normal rate, and at least a couple are flowering themselves. The main head has carried on growing regardless.
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Yes, flowers developing from areole meristems do occasionally change into stem shoots. A genus that seems particularly prone is Notocactus in the old sense.
Russell99
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Russell99 »

Here is my ubelmannia pectinifera that did the same thing
DSCN1325_copy_1024x768.jpg
Russell, just a 17 year old cacti, succulent and orchid collector.
From Sri Lanka (tropical climate)
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I've had a couple of Gymnocalyciums do it this year too. I've tried taking them off and rooting them down as offsets, but they don't seem to take. I suspect it may be due to a sudden change in conditions as the buds are forming.
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS

Post by el48tel »

ralphrmartin wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:09 pm I've had a couple of Gymnocalyciums do it this year too. I've tried taking them off and rooting them down as offsets, but they don't seem to take. I suspect it may be due to a sudden change in conditions as the buds are forming.
Do you think it's as a result of the different climate conditions we have seen this summer? The plants recognising that the success for seed production would be limited, so throwing effort into offset production. I've seen more offsets than flowers .... but it's perception rather than measurement.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.