Massonias germinated, now what?

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Magi
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Member

Massonias germinated, now what?

Post by Magi »

Hello,
I decided to try my hand at growing Massonia and think I am off to a decent start. However, I need some pointers for the next steps. What are some reliable online resource where such info could be found? Thanks in advance!

I got the seeds from Bert at Massonia.com

P.S. No idea how to fix the upside down issue :?:
Attachments
IMG_5241.JPG
IMG_5240.JPG
fatich
Registered Guest

Re: Massonias germinated, now what?

Post by fatich »

I ve no experience about Massonia, i fixed the photos.
Attachments
IMG_20201116_080819.jpg
IMG_20201116_080819.jpg (312.17 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
IMG_20201116_080954.jpg
IMG_20201116_080954.jpg (304.39 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
Terry S.

Post by Terry S. »

Grow them on frost-free until the leaves go yellow in April. Leave warm and dry over summer, space them out in larger pots at the end of August and start watering again. It should be the same in Turkey and they might even grow outside if you are in one of the more Mediterranean climate areas and not the Black Sea coast or up in the Taurus Mountains.

The only exception is if you get poor germination. Massonia seeds will often germinate the second season after sowing, so if not many seeds germinate in a particular pot, do not repot at the end of August but just start watering again.
Aiko
BCSS Member

Post by Aiko »

Terry S. wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:23 am The only exception is if you get poor germination. Massonia seeds will often germinate the second season after sowing
Or even a few seasons following. I now have a few Daubenya germinating after five retries.
Magi
Registered Guest

Post by Magi »

Thank you! How did you do that?
Magi
Registered Guest

Post by Magi »

Grow them on frost-free until the leaves go yellow in April. Leave warm and dry over summer
Thank you Terry! That almost sounds like how conophytums are grown. Unfortunately there's nothing Mediterranean about where I'm located, so I'll keep them where I keep my conos over winter: a chilled windowsill.
fatich
Registered Guest

Post by fatich »

Magi wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:46 pm
Thank you! How did you do that?
You're welcome! Saved the photos, rotated the photos with edit section on the phone and uploaded again.
Astro
Registered Guest

Post by Astro »

It looks like you got a good crop!

I usually leave the seedlings in the same pot for two years (growing seasons) to catch any latecomers. When repotting the seedling bulbs and tipping out the soil from the old pots, I set aside the top inch or so and reapply it to the tops of the new pots. That way, any ungerminated seeds are transferred and will have another shot at sprouting.
Magi
Registered Guest

Post by Magi »

Astro wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:25 am It looks like you got a good crop!

I set aside the top inch or so and reapply it to the tops of the new pots. That way, any ungerminated seeds are transferred and will have another shot at sprouting.
Good tip, I probably have thrown away much more viable seeds than I'm aware.