Copiapoa from home grown seeds

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Copiapoa from home grown seeds

Post by Cidermanrolls »

My Copiapoas loved 2020 and set lots of very viable seed, it’s coming up like cress for some species.
This was all open pollinated. How true to type should I expect seedlings to be?
Peter
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Copiapoa from home grown seeds

Post by Peter »

Copiapoas do seed well and can scatter themselves in pots around the greenhouse. It's almost impossible to identify most types until they are quite a few years old. I had so many seedlings marked 'found in pot with Copiapoa xxxx or Fero xxxx' or whatever. So you might have a really nice plant that you cannot precisely identify.

It may well be that there are hybrids amongst the plants. In the end you could well be labelling them as 'Copiapoa spec'. One of the few frustrations of growing Copiapoa _ but they are surely worth the effort and patience needed.