Bursting to get out

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
MikeDom
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: GLOUCESTER
Role within the BCSS: Member

Bursting to get out

Post by MikeDom »

Cyphostemma quinatum, 8 years from seed, telling me it's now outgrown it's current pot. Has been growing in pure pumice for a few years, suffered a bout of rot on one side (no idea why, it was above the soil) which cleared up on it's own and flaked off, you can see it in the 3rd photo. Now raised to show off it's roots and replanted in a highly draining mix containing coarse aggregates and pine bark, approximately ph 6.5. A few years and it might end up on the show bench, a couple more inches to be raised yet to better show off the roots. Remains of last years vine still showing; this will drop off and new buds will burst from the stem. The vine generally grows 10 - 12 feet and has been flowering for the past 5 years.

w.jpg
x.jpg
y.jpg
IMG_2034.jpg
IMG_2035.jpg
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Re: Bursting to get out

Post by Tina »

Thats nice Mike, from your own seed ?.
Do you water your cypho over winter ?, I was looking at my 'fat bastard' today and the die back is quite a lot I know it will grow again but its lost a good 15cm of stem
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Tina wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:33 pm Thats nice Mike, from your own seed ?.
Do you water your cypho over winter ?, I was looking at my 'fat bastard' today and the die back is quite a lot I know it will grow again but its lost a good 15cm of stem
Yes, own seed, as they say, if you sow 100 seeds expect to get 100 plants. I last watered in November Tina, and then started watering non-cacti a couple of weeks ago. Small amounts only, they are in the same highly draining mix or in pure lapillo, I wouldn't be soaking a pot for half an hour this early. My daytime greenhouse temperatures rise to 15 - 20 Deg C most days in the sun, and drop down as low as 2 Deg C at night, typically 4 - 5. You won't find books advocating what I'm doing, but it works well for me in my circumstances.
Mike

BCSS member 39216

Active grower of caudiciform succulents and mesembs. I don't really grow cacti (very often).
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Branch: None
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I have found the hard way that many Cyphostemmas dont like cold, and that causes them to die back. Mine are at 15C, and don't get winter water, and so far haven't died back.

I wonder if you can propagate Cyphostemma quinatum from root cuttings?
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Deltron
Registered Guest
Branch: None

Post by Deltron »

Nice Mike. What's the scale/size of that specimen?

My one from you put on some serious size over last summer, had a dribble of water the other day, and is now threatening to leaf again :razz:
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

I wonder if you can propagate Cyphostemma quinatum from root cuttings
I tried cutting one of the tubers on FB and it still hasn't sprouted but a piece of stem did root down and is growing Ok but FB has a lot more growth/stems to volunteer.
It will be interesting to see if it gets the characteristic fat tuberous roots
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
MikeDom
BCSS Member

Post by MikeDom »

Deltron wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:30 am Nice Mike. What's the scale/size of that specimen?

My one from you put on some serious size over last summer, had a dribble of water the other day, and is now threatening to leaf again :razz:
It’s got a good pedigree Mark 👌. It was deliberately stunted before you took it, there were just too many plants and not enough space.

The pot it’s in now is 6” diameter. I fully expect it to split out of that pot this year. This plant got watered and fed (high nitrogen, of course) once a month and the pumice doesn’t hold water for long, so I think a natural reaction of the plant is to increase water storage, hence the potato tubers.

Yes, you can root the ‘potatoes’ in the same as you root the tubers produced by the Othonna filicaulis I sent you Ralph.
Mike

BCSS member 39216