Setiechinopsis mirabilis ..... and quite a few questions

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Setiechinopsis mirabilis ..... and quite a few questions

Post by el48tel »

setie-2-plus-copyright.mp4
(5.97 MiB) Downloaded 37 times
I was attempting to video another genus ..... unsuccessfully .... and noticed that there was a bud opening on this Setiechinopsis mirabilis. Change of plan, equipment, location. Noticed that the bud was opening, IMHO, a little earlier than expected, in terms of the time of day. The kit was duly set up. The background was better than last time. The filming was proceeding better than last time. The new (expensive) lighting gear was performing properly. I didn’t have to change gear and tactics mid video like last time. It was looking so good. I was so smug. Doing the post video production was going to be so easy. I thought ......... and spoke ........... too soon. Normally by about 3 hours into videoing Setiechinopsis, the flower is pretty much open. Hence the set of parameters I’d calculated. I’d calculated in some slippage time to allow for longer opening, but what occurred was not what I expected. After a while the flower started to close, turn, and reopen. Towards 1am, I expected to see the flower fully open, but it wasn’t. In fact, the equipment had finished filming, the light was fully illuminating the plant, and the flower was only partly open. I shut off the lighting jig and the flower opened in the next couple of hours. By 6am, based on previous experience, I would have expected the flower to be closed or nearly so, but it was fully open.
Lots of questions started to flood my mind.
It had been a dull day, the flower began to open sooner than I’d expected. Did my transfer from bright(ish) GH to house initiate the flowering process?
Previously, my Setiechinopsis lighting had been a different setup, because of technical issues. Was it the light intensity or colour temperature of the light which caused the plant to stop and restart?
Does the plant need very low light intensity to flower, because it struggled to flower with the new jig, but the old dimmer light later in the video process of last time allowed the flower to fully open?
And so my thoughts continued.
I thought (and still think) the adjacent bud will abort, but I am not so sure in the light of the new day. I may have the opportunity for further investigation this evening/weekend.
Recollection of filming Rebutia, and observation of Gymnocalycium earlier in the year with its poor weather records, lends further credence to light intensity AND temperature as initiators of flowering.
Further thoughts from forum members before 6pm would be much appreciated.

Regardless ............ enjoy the video.
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: Setiechinopsis mirabilis ..... and quite a few questions

Post by Stuart »

I'd hurry, it's a very short-lived plant, once they've flowered, usually in the second year from seed, they've done all they need and don't make it to the next year. There is a theory that cutting off the flowers might keep the plant alive longer.

Stuart
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

Stuart wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:47 pm I'd hurry, it's a very short-lived plant, once they've flowered, usually in the second year from seed, they've done all they need and don't make it to the next year. There is a theory that cutting off the flowers might keep the plant alive longer.

Stuart
Yup I know that .... but don't think the plants does .... 4 years old
And it's sibling .... has had pups!
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
KarlR
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by KarlR »

Stuart wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:47 pm I'd hurry, it's a very short-lived plant, once they've flowered, usually in the second year from seed, they've done all they need and don't make it to the next year. There is a theory that cutting off the flowers might keep the plant alive longer.

Stuart
I've heard this said by many, and seen it mentioned in books too. Has anybody done any kind of research on this in habitat? My experience with them is that they can easily live for 10 years with regular flowering. My oldest was 15 years old before it died, but I suspect a cold snap killed it, not old age.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

KarlR wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:46 pm

Stuart
I've heard this said by many, and seen it mentioned in books too. Has anybody done any kind of research on this in habitat? My experience with them is that they can easily live for 10 years with regular flowering. My oldest was 15 years old before it died, but I suspect a cold snap killed it, not old age.
I think my post title is correct .... questions questions questions
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

I find it short lived. I've grown it 3 or 4 times, but I have never managed to keep it more than a few years (under 5). It seems to put all its energy into flowering and setting seed. The way I grow it at least, its perhaps as near as we get to a biennial in cacti!
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Post by Phil_SK »

Here are mine, photographed just a few minutes ago. One was grafted onto Opuntia humifusa (the left one, I think) though the stock may have died and the scion rooted - it's happened with many of the grafts I did when I used that stock. They were grown from seed sown in January 2009. As cacti go, I suspect they are short-lived but not very short-lived. Rather, they quickly become very scruffy and reach a point that most people would dispose of them.
IMG_20210820_181354.jpg
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
Ali Baba
BCSS Member
Branch: DOVER

Post by Ali Baba »

My first Setiechinopsis was about 15 years old when it died. As it’s propagated exclusively from seed and self pollinates perhaps there are longer lived seed strains.
nobby
BCSS Member

Post by nobby »

Hello,

perhaps this story that Roberto Kiesling told us explains the questions around Setiechinopsis mirabilis:

The plants usually grow in slightly saline soil. When it rains heavily, the salt is washed into the lower layers, the seeds germinate and the plants grow, flower and produce vast quantities of seeds. Slowly, the salt rises from the lower layers back up to the surface. The conditions become hostile for Setiechinopsis mirabilis. The plants slowly die - until the next heavy rain. An event that occurs approximately every three to four years.

A story - but perhaps with a true background.

Kind regards
Nobby
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

nobby wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:33 pm Hello,

perhaps this story that Roberto Kiesling told us explains the questions around Setiechinopsis mirabilis:

The plants usually grow in slightly saline soil. When it rains heavily, the salt is washed into the lower layers, the seeds germinate and the plants grow, flower and produce vast quantities of seeds. Slowly, the salt rises from the lower layers back up to the surface. The conditions become hostile for Setiechinopsis mirabilis. The plants slowly die - until the next heavy rain. An event that occurs approximately every three to four years.

A story - but perhaps with a true background.

Kind regards
Nobby
Perhaps new compost every year? Water from the top?