ID ideas, please

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
jadegarden
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

ID ideas, please

Post by jadegarden »

Hi,

Looking for suggestions on what these two are. I'm totally stumped - don't even have a fair idea of the genus. They are in 7 cm and 10 cm pots.
IMG_20210929_081843~2.jpg
IMG_20210929_081814~2.jpg
Thanks in advance!!
JaMaDa 876: growing an assortment of pokey plants in Kingston, Jamaica
Phil_SK
Branch: MACCLESFIELD & EAST CHESHIRE
Role within the BCSS: Forum Moderator

Re: ID ideas, please

Post by Phil_SK »

They're both Parodia/Notocactus, the second being Parodia buiningii. Not sure of the first.
Phil Crewe, BCSS 38143. Mostly S. American cacti, esp. Lobivia, Sulcorebutia and little Opuntia
rodsmith
BCSS Member
Branch: STOKE-ON-TRENT

Post by rodsmith »

I agree about the second one, but the first looks like a cross between a Gymno and a Noto/Parodia - probably impossible.
Rod Smith

Growing a mixed collection of cacti & other succulents; mainly smaller species with a current emphasis on lithops & conophytum.
el48tel
BCSS Member
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by el48tel »

I have a Gymnocalycium buenkeri which is nearly, but not quite as lightly spined as #1, but certainly as similar in shape, and I have its provenance, which from Graham Charles, I trust.
I would agree that #2 is Notocactus/Parodia
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs. Recently discovered gorgeous Gasteria.
Tishania
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Tishania »

#1 looks very young to me and could change dramatically as it grows, my guess would be a Gymnocalycium or possibly even a Melocactus.
I agree that #2 is Notocactus buiningii (as I still think of it).

Both nice young plants.
Returned member interested in anything that won't injure me or my wallet.
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

The first one looks to be a Gymno, something close to Horstii or a hybrid of Horstii, flowering will comnfirm. The second can only be Notocactus Buiningii.

Stuart
jadegarden
BCSS Member

Post by jadegarden »

Many thanks for the suggestions. I see consensus on the second one.

I had tentatively labelled the first as a type of Gymno because that was my gut feeling, but it seemed like a stretch.

I have not had success with many types of Notocactus over the years, but I hope that this one will like me more than the others.

Will update my labels and see what happens as they mature.

Janine
JaMaDa 876: growing an assortment of pokey plants in Kingston, Jamaica
Detlev
BCSS Member

Post by Detlev »

The first picture definitely does not show a Gymnocalycium, but a plant from the relationship of Parodia ottonis (Notoactus ottonis). Parodia ottonis sensu lato is a very variable species and many forms have been described as separate species. The plant shown corresponds to Parodia oxycostata (but which is classified by some authors only as a synonym of Parodia ottonis).
The plant looks very healthy. Enjoy the yellow flowers, which could appear next year already!
The ribs of Gymnocalycium horstii and G. buenekeri are more rounded and not as sharp as the ribs of your plant. Also both Gymnocalyciums have not so dark spines.
ralphrmartin
BCSS Research Committee Chairman
Role within the BCSS: Chairman - Research

Post by ralphrmartin »

Detlev,

you have now jogged my memory. I have a plant labelled Notocactus acutus, which is similar to the plant shown, but with more sharply angled ribs and slightly longer / paler spines, and is now considered to be a form of Parodia oxycostatus.

Ralph
Ralph Martin
https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/cacti.html
Members visiting the Llyn Peninsula are welcome to visit my collection.

Swaps and sales at https://www.rrm.me.uk/Cacti/forsale.php

My Field Number Database is at https://www.fieldnos.bcss.org.uk
Detlev
BCSS Member

Post by Detlev »

Dear Ralph,
you are right, Notocactus acutus is classified as a synonym of P. oxycostata. JanD's plant is still young and "well fed", the angular ribs will certainly become more obvious later.
Detlev