Importing with phyto certificate

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LINCOLN
Role within the BCSS: Member

Importing with phyto certificate

Post by Cidermanrolls »

If I wish to import a few plants from Europe and the seller can provide a phyto cert, do I have to do anything at this end? Or is it just a case of the supplier including the cert in the parcel?
Davey246
Registered Guest
Branch: LEICESTER

Re: Importing with phyto certificate

Post by Davey246 »

Do nothing.
The pacakge should sail through C&E. The only thing, which the seller should know as he is offering the documents, is that the documents really need to be on the outside of the package - in something like a polythene envelope.

I suspect that there is no checking or inspection if the paperwork is obvious when they land in the UK - I have had plants with me within two days of shipping with a phyto'. If I'm right, fakes would sail through too.
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Christian »

I'll be reading further responses to this with interest, but my impression is that it is not that easy as simply adding a phytosanitary certificate. Official guidance is this:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/import-plan ... rn-ireland

So in addition to your phyto you'll need to register as an importer, pre-notify the import (which until summer need to arrive at a registered place of destination), and pay various fees for document checks. It would seem that a system incorporating personal imports from the EU is still lacking. I would love to know if anybody is pushing for this?
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Christian wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:49 pm I'll be reading further responses to this with interest, but my impression is that it is not that easy as simply adding a phytosanitary certificate. Official guidance is this:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/import-plan ... rn-ireland

So in addition to your phyto you'll need to register as an importer, pre-notify the import (which until summer need to arrive at a registered place of destination), and pay various fees for document checks. It would seem that a system incorporating personal imports from the EU is still lacking. I would love to know if anybody is pushing for this?
Last year all of the above was done for me by the courier company (one of the big ones, don't remember which one). No extra fees to pay except for PC.

Edit: But it's hard to judge what's needed now...

Edit edit: The "no extra fees" was a lie, shipping cost was much higher than a year or two earlier, probably to cover the extra expenses.
Last edited by MatDz on Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mat
Christian
BCSS Member
Branch: BRADFORD

Post by Christian »

That would make life much easier! I am almost tempting to try again if the courier takes on this part...
Member of Birmingham Branch
http://birmingham.bcss.org.uk/
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Most overseas parcels with a phyto attached to the outside just sail through customs. However, if chosen for a customs check, it's necessary to register with PEACH at Defra and link the courier's account to your PEACH account. There's no costs involved. Customs clearance can normally be sorted through the courier and PEACH though there may be a few days delay depending on logistics. Without a Phyto, plants could be destroyed!

Stuart
MatDz
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by MatDz »

Stuart wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:11 am However, if chosen for a customs check, it's necessary to register with PEACH at Defra and link the courier's account to your PEACH account.
So what's exactly the order of events here? Place an order -> wait for the parcel to arrive in the UK -> keep fingers crossed it sails through -> if chosen for customs check ONLY THEN set up a PEACH account and do all the rest?

Sounds rather late, given "The PEACH system helps you comply with pre-notification requirements" (from https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-the-p ... sh-produce).

Also, apparently the IPAFFS is the new PEACH now: https://planthealthportal.defra.gov.uk/ ... larations/
Mat
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Post by Stuart »

Registering with PEACH in advance is probably best, I registered back in 2005 and there's no cost but it might save a few days delay if a parcel is stopped for a check. They're based in York and very helpful.

Stuart
Davey246
Registered Guest
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Davey246 »

I have had a parcel stopped for inspection, with phyto', and although it must have added time, it can only have been a very few hours, at most, which were insignificant compared to the couple of days total shipping.

I import booze too, and electronics, and apart from anything sent privately, i.e. not by a commercial entity, everything has to be provided by the sender and they sail through. You will have plenty of problems if everthing isn't shipped with the parcel - any biological material at all, if found, will be destroyed and you will get a notification and advice about what should have been done.

If anything is sent by a private individual, assuming that it is found on import, the shipping service - ParcelForce, DHL etc.- sort things, except a phyto'.

Tempting fate here, but weirdly, so far, anything covered by a phyto' has yet to attract VAT or duty. Anything else, that is found, certainly does. So far as I recall, my recent shipment of bulbs from RSA cost a reasonable amount with DHL - nothing that I hadn't expected. Generally speaking, any clearance/handling attracts a fee of something like £10 with most carriers - at least until recetly it was something like £8.50 with ParcelForce.

I have had boxes of something like 15 litres or so, covered in import/export papwerwork, that were not "found" by HMCE, so escaped VAT etc..
Tony R
Branch: CAMBRIDGE

Post by Tony R »

Davey246 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:56 am I have had boxes of something like 15 litres or so, covered in import/export papwerwork, that were not "found" by HMCE, so escaped VAT etc..
But I trust you sent the VAT due to HM Revenue and Customs. :wink:
After all, several members of this Forum are/were employees of HMRC
Tony Roberts
Treasurer, Haworthia Society
Chairman, Tephrocactus Study Group
Moderator, BCSS Forum
Kent
(Gasteria, Mammillaria, small Opuntia, Cleistocactus and Sempervivum are my current special interests)