ID please and comment

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Eric Williams
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: SOUTH WALES

ID please and comment

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi all, my granddaughter was given this plant two days ago, and was taken aback by the golden colour on
3ED040E4-36A1-44F0-8AAF-BA526A854BD9.jpeg
the leaves. The underside is a very very pale green. It looks to me that tops of the leaves are sunburnt. Any comment will be greatly received by her. Also an ID would be useful. As a Cactus man I have no idea what it is. Thank you
Stuart
BCSS Member
Branch: BRISTOL

Re: ID please and comment

Post by Stuart »

It could well be Kalanchoe Orygalis but it's the sort of plant I'd need to see in person to be sure. Does the top surface of the leaf have a 'felted' feel?

Stuart '
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

Hi Stuart, I would not say felted, but the underneath feels more “ slippery” lol. Thanks
Eric Williams
BCSS Member

Post by Eric Williams »

The encyclopaedia of succulents provides an exellent picture exactly as you described. I would be very happy with that name. As it comes from Madagascar I assume it could be brought indoors for the a winter ? Cheers
jerryb23
BCSS Member
Branch: NORWICH
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by jerryb23 »

Note spelling Kalanchoe Orgyalis rather than Orygalis is known as 'Copper Spoons' for obvious reasons. The literature recommends bringing it inside for the winter above 40F but I've had no problem keeping it just frost free and it flowers every year with an unusual spike of pod like yellow flowers. Mine is currently re-flowering from last years flower spike.

The plant is easily propagated from leaf cuttings so you can experiment on winter care.