Todays photo Topic is solved

For discussion on all Haworthiad type plants - open to all.
el48tel
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Re: Todays photo

Post by el48tel »

AllanA wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 4:24 pm I tried paper and cotton wool but found moving them at that stage was damaging them and killed quite a lot, as I could not be gentle enough, even though I have a good pair of tweezers.
I now find sowing on top of compost under lights, I have no problems.
Before the pandemic, I was buying seeds from South Africa at £25 for 12 seeds. These were not my experimenting seeds :lol:
Sorry to hear about your mealie infestation. Conos would not be as tasty as Haworthia seedlings. I have had root mealie problems in the past but not mealie bug.
One or two of the plants I bought at the Convention had mealie bug but I isolated all my purchases and cleared the pests before putting them in with the rest.
I'd considered lights. I'd not reconsidered compost. But I might try that combination. Do you use heat? If so, what temperature?
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
AllanA
BCSS Member
Branch: GRAMPIAN (N.E.Scotland)

Post by AllanA »

No extra heat. The room temps are 20-21C day and about 11-12C night. I sterilize the compost before sowing by soaking from the bottom with boiling water. As soon as it has cooled I sprinkle seeds on compost and put in a bag, or put a lid on.
After a day, if there is not mist inside the bag I add a little( about nearly a quater of a teaspoonful) tepid water.
Allan
Orkney
conophytums,Lithops,Sempervivum, Tylecodons, small cacti. and Haworthias
AllanA
BCSS Member

Post by AllanA »

Next batch, sown 16/10/2023
seedlings3.jpg
4 pots of these
Allan
Orkney
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

AllanA wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:36 am Next batch, sown 16/10/2023seedlings3.jpg 4 pots of these
(tu)
Endeavouring to grow Aylostera, Echinocereus, Echinopsis, Gymnocalycium, Matucana, Rebutia, and Sulcorebutia. Fallen out of love with Lithops and aggravated by Aeoniums.
Currently being wooed by Haworthia, attempting hybridisation, and enticed by Mesembs.
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

AllanA wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:33 am No extra heat. The room temps are 20-21C day and about 11-12C night. I sterilize the compost before sowing by soaking from the bottom with boiling water. As soon as it has cooled I sprinkle seeds on compost and put in a bag, or put a lid on.
After a day, if there is not mist inside the bag I add a little( about nearly a quater of a teaspoonful) tepid water.
Thanks ... that sounds sufficiently simple
AllanA
BCSS Member

Post by AllanA »

Last lot of seedlings:- the newbies
seedlings4.jpg
Sown 10/12/2023, 6 pots
seedlings4a.jpg
Allan
Orkney
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

(tu)
edds
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Post by edds »

My photos are nowhere near Allan's quality but, as promised, I will post a few for the next few days.
First H.springbokvlakensis,
Haworthia springbokvlakensis
Haworthia springbokvlakensis
Ed

BCSS member 53038
el48tel
BCSS Member

Post by el48tel »

(tu)
AllanA
BCSS Member

Post by AllanA »

Excellent picture and plants.
Allan
Orkney