Pest control

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
TomInTucson
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Pest control

Post by TomInTucson »

Tina wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:12 pm Gazelle SG 500 g Insecticide, looked intersting, its on ebay cheaper.
https://www.progreen.co.uk/gazelle-sg-s ... gKekvD_BwE
Gazelle SB is a highly effective, broad-spectrum, systemic insecticide. Ideal for use against a large variety of plant chewing and sucking pests. On label approval for use against aphids and whitefly with EAMUs for specific weevil species.
Hi Tina,

For those that might be curious: The primary compound in Gazelle SG 500 is acetamiprid, which is a chloropyridinyl neonicotinoid, much like imidacloprid.
Diane
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by Diane »

Tina wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:12 pm Gazelle SG 500 g Insecticide, looked intersting, its on ebay cheaper.
https://www.progreen.co.uk/gazelle-sg-s ... gKekvD_BwE
Gazelle SB is a highly effective, broad-spectrum, systemic insecticide. Ideal for use against a large variety of plant chewing and sucking pests. On label approval for use against aphids and whitefly with EAMUs for specific weevil species.
It can stay looking interesting at that price!! £122!! :eek:
Diane - member of Kingston branch

Growing cacti - balm to the soul!
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

No, much cheaper ebay
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
Keith L
BCSS Member
Branch: LEICESTER

Post by Keith L »

Interesting, but isn't that the same chemical as in Bug Clear Ultra Vine Weevil killer?

Regards

Keith
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

They're both acetamiprid but the concentrations and methods of delivery are different.

Bug clear ultra VW killer is 5% acetamiprid. 60ml is mixed with each litre and that treats 10 litres of compost. A whole bottle is only supposed to treat 80 litres of compost

The Gazelle is 20% acetamiprid and is mixed at 0.25g per litre but then sprayed onto foliage, not drenched (according to the label).

Obviously Gazelle is granular and BCU is a liquid but I do wonder whether some of the issues with BCU is that people don't apply enough to each pot for effective control. It says a whole bottle only treats 80 litres of compost. That is only 80 4.5" square BEF pots and only about 400 7cm square pots. It only makes 8 litres of solution so that means 100ml needs to be applied to each litre pot.

I used 2 bottles treating most of my greenhouse yesterday and need some more to finish the job! And I'm still not sure I used enough for some bigger pots!
Ed

BCSS member 53038
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

The bottle of Bug Clear Ultra I bought makes 20 Litres of solution. That's not much for €20

I dab any visible bugs with meths first. I always stand the plants in the solution for an hour or more and them spray. So it takes time.
The question here is how often to replace the solution in the tray. Comments welcome.

I'm aware it doesn't kill the eggs so there is a risk factor.....

I'm still seeing some on the move after four days. Some dead on the table top also.
But it's the eggs I'm worried about....
Tina
BCSS Member
Branch: NORTHAMPTON & MILTON KEYNES

Post by Tina »

Its £55 ish on ebay & the seller offered a discount at £47 for a large volume.
This seemed a more useful product as its not a soil drench but absorbed in the plant a bit more direct but I could be reading it wrong
Tina

varied collection of succulents and cacti but I especially like Euphorbia's, Ariocarpus and variegated agaves.

Bucks, UK
Branch co-ordinator, Northants & MK BCSS https://northants.bcss.org.uk
BCSS Talk team member, contact me- BCSS.Talk@Gmail.com if you want to volunteer or suggest a speaker plz.
edds
BCSS Member

Post by edds »

Tina wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:39 am This seemed a more useful product as its not a soil drench but absorbed in the plant a bit more direct but I could be reading it wrong
Having just spent £60 on 6 bottles of BCU then the Gazelle looks like a more economical option!

Has anyone read anything about how well cacti absorb foliar systemics through their cuticle? Most foliar sprays are designed to be sprayed on plants with leaves which have a much larger surface area to volume ratio and less waxy coverings.

Could root drenches (done at the recommended dosage) be more effective for cacti?
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Mike_K
BCSS Member
Branch: EXETER

Post by Mike_K »

Phil_SK wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:25 pm Big nurseries probably don't keep 'rescuing' plants from neglected collections and reintroducing pests every few months. :wink:
Good point, Phil.
Many of the plants I buy are so severely infested with mealy
bugs and other pests. :eek:
Gasteria.Aloe.Astroloba.Asphodelaceae hybrids.
habanerocat
BCSS Member
Branch: EDENBRIDGE

Post by habanerocat »

Has anybody ever used an air-compressor to blow off insects from plants?

Sounds like a plan, but where do you blow them off to?
Does this work in practice or just help to spread them around?