Heat Mats

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
Stevepeat
BCSS Member
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: LEEDS
Role within the BCSS: Member

Heat Mats

Post by Stevepeat »

I am looking at getting a 120 cm x 40 cm heat mat to give asclepiads under lights an optimum temperature. I would value any comments or feedback on best brands and accompanying thermostats. I want to buy something decent, but don’t want to waste money either.
Cidermanrolls
BCSS Member
Branch: LINCOLN

Re: Heat Mats

Post by Cidermanrolls »

Forget the mat, invest in a Vitopod propagater.
But of course it will depend on how many plants you have.
Conrad
BCSS Member
Branch: None

Re: Heat Mats

Post by Conrad »

I used to use heat mats for speeding up seed raising, and if you want to go that way, I used the ROOT!T heat mats, which were always very reliable.

These days, I don't bother, instead I just box in my grow lights well, and the residual heat from the t8 flourescents I use keeps the temperature at around 27c in the daytime. Saves a bunch of electricity, and provides a good reason for me to not bother upgrading to led since they have very little residual heat being much more efficient. I would recommend that route rather than heat mats.

This is my propagator, made from ply with x12 36w t8 tubes, and three shelves, all on runners. Works very well.
Attachments
20210401_191504.jpg