Not so hardy Agave

For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation and exhibition of cacti & other succulents.
Forum rules
For the discussion of topics related to the conservation, cultivation, propagation, exhibition & science of cacti & other succulents only.

Please respect all forum members opinions and if you can't make a civil reply, don't reply!
WayneM
Registered Guest
https://www.behance.net/kuchnie-warszawa
Branch: None

Re: Not so hardy Agave

Post by WayneM »

I think we all agree on the factors that have led to the losses we've experienced. Those temperatures came way too early 😒
Been a painful lesson, but a lesson none the less.

I think I've finally finished with Aloe polyphylla or polygoner, as its now called, one outside under cover, tilted at a angle for drainage, rotted. Two in the greenhouse succumbed to the apparent dampness inside. So as lovely as they are, it maybe some time until I will try again.

Losing a medium sized montana was a surprise, :shock: Aloe straitula turned to seaweed.
Plus a hybrid/green version of ovatifolia called Emerald proved not to be so hardy, but I did have small pup's appearing, so all not lost.

I'm hoping my shelter helped protect my plants from the worst of it, but spring will truly show if all the growing points are ok. 🤞
IMG_20230122_122922_363.jpg
So commiserations to one and all, but we go again eh 😁

Wayne
Patrick
BCSS Member
Branch: SOMERSET

Post by Patrick »

If it's any compensation it's a real struggle to grow A.polyphylla here in Portugal as well. I had 3 in the ground and only one survives. I think it's just too hot for them in the summer.
Patrick. Small varied collection of North American, Mexican and Andean Cacti. Variegated Agaves and Echeveria. Developing a succulent garden in Portugal. Joined Somerset BCSS and forum in 2007.
edds
BCSS Member
Role within the BCSS: Member

Post by edds »

The two smaller polyphylla I planted out last spring are dead. One was 3 years old from seed and the other bought 4 years ago so was at least 4 years old. My large one seems ok so far...

2 year old plants in 2 litre pots in an unheated greenhouse have all died too.

Definitely going to let the survivors get a lot bigger before they are planted out in the future.
Ed

BCSS member 53038
Herts Mike
BCSS Member
Branch: LEA VALLEY

Post by Herts Mike »

Both my Polyphyllas are ok but leaf tips marked.
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

Sometimes the reality of trying to grow plants alien to the environment of the Uk comes back to bite us. I have kept a graph showing the night temperatures from 1st November 2022 to date. 21 nights below freezing . Non in November. 14 in December when most were around -5 with a max of - 6. 7 so far in January mostly -5 and -6. Last few days has been just above freezing. Greenhouse heated to 5 degrees no losses. Tender stuff in the house. Heating bill for house/greenhouse has sky rocketed therefore may have to think about giving up the greenhouse next winter. Cannot see HMG giving us old folk another £500 next winter nor the £60 a month off the heating bill. I am financing my grandson through uni and he comes first.
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
WayneM
Registered Guest

Post by WayneM »

Those big beautiful Aloe polyphylla at Kew, no more :cry: . But they will probably have decent size back ups for this spring.
IMG-20230127-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20230127-WA0002.jpg
Wayne
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

That is really disappointing. I knew those plants well.

I think my 2 survived because they get a bit of shelter, one from the eaves, one from a tree.
Herts Mike
BCSS Member

Post by Herts Mike »

Here’s one of them.
8F2CE112-D966-4704-9C60-41BD7E0E8379.jpeg
Ernie
BCSS Member
Branch: TEESSIDE

Post by Ernie »

(tu)
'Eternity is but a a brief moment away'
JoelR
BCSS Member
Branch: BRIDLINGTON

Post by JoelR »

A few losses here in West Yorkshire but nothing remarkable so far. I always cover my plants usually in late October to ensure they are dry when it does get cold. I've lost too many plants to northern winters to leave them to chance. -6.5c has been the coldest so far but it stayed sub zero for a week. A new garden for me so everything was planted last year. Aloiampelos striatula unprotected are mush but a main plant in a protected raised bed is perfectly fine. Beschorneria septentrionalis is completely dead and a variegated one called "Bob Brown" but all the Agaves planted out are fine and the Aloe polyphylla and fingers crossed the cacti. Dyckia frigida was left unprotected until late November and I think this is why it suffered damage.
Attachments
Aloe polyphylla in garden 280123.jpeg
Agave mitis in garden 280123.jpeg
Agave filifera.jpeg
Agave parryi 280123.jpeg
Agave salmiana 280123.jpeg
Dyckia frigida 280123.jpeg
Puya coerulea.jpeg
Joel
West Yorks